Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Changing my Fuel Rail setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing my Fuel Rail setup

I want to change over from the stock fuel setup (in-tank regulator) to an aftermarket regulator in the engine bay. I already have aftermarket rails installed and an Aeromotive regulator I picked up somewhere.

Here is a picture of the regulator:

Here is the best picture I have of my rail setup (crossover under the cowl):

I want to just junk the stock lines and run new 6AN or 8AN lines from the fuel tank to the engine bay. I'm confused as to how the regulator should be setup. There are 5 ports...the three big ones are for fuel and the small one on the front is for a pressure gauge, but what is the one on the red part for? Is that the vacuum line port? Do I need that if I'm not boosted? Do I just cap it off or leave it open? Of the three main ports, which one is input from the tank, which one is output to the rails, and which one is the return to the tank, or does it not matter?

For the rails, should I have lines come out of the regulator, run to the driver's side rail, and split there to a crossover to the passenger side rail?

Basically, I'm thinking something like this, but with the return running from the regulator, not the rear of the rails:

What size lines would you suggest running for the supply and the return. Right now I'm N/A with a single Walbro 255. I obviously plan on upgrading to dual pumps and FI sometime in the future, so should I just go 8AN and not have to upgrade down the road, or should I just stick with 6AN for now and replace the lines when I upgrade the motor? 6AN or 4AN for the return line?

Thanks all
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

I'm doing some reading and it looks like the regulator is supposed to be mounted on the outlet of the rails...is this true?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

No one?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Apparently, yes. The Regulator needs to be on the return side. I'm doing some reading as well. I have to go to an aftermarket regulator, but I don't want a return line, so I have some research to do..

Not sure if OP needs the info anymore, but I've read a -8 supply and -6 return.

Anyone have any pics or diagrams of their aftermarket regulator setups with a short return? I'm looking to do like the factors did. T the supply off and feed a regulator with that.

Quick Reply: Changing my Fuel Rail setup