Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Lets talk fuel stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lets talk fuel stabilizers

This was post was linked to on a jet ski forum....what are your opinions on this? Essentially this chemist says that all fuel stabilizers are hogwash except for marvel mystery oil.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...your-rush.html

And either way, this is a site showing what stations have gas without ethanol

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Curious to see what everyone else thinks. I use Marine sta-bil in the Z and my skis in the winter.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read the article, but if you are talking about stabil. I used it for the first time last year in my 94 firehawk, which only gets driven on and off the trailer, only 82 miles on it. Went 8 years without using it and no problem, put it in and it destroyed the tank of gas. Fouled out my plugs, clogged the injectors. It sucked. Had to drain gas tank, change plugs, new gas, injector cleaner. I will never use it again.

I hear that there is a green colored one that is supposed to be ok to use with the new gas, but I am not trying it. I'd rather drain the gas every couple years.

Ryan
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
I didn't read the article, but if you are talking about stabil. I used it for the first time last year in my 94 firehawk, which only gets driven on and off the trailer, only 82 miles on it. Went 8 years without using it and no problem, put it in and it destroyed the tank of gas. Fouled out my plugs, clogged the injectors. It sucked. Had to drain gas tank, change plugs, new gas, injector cleaner. I will never use it again.

I hear that there is a green colored one that is supposed to be ok to use with the new gas, but I am not trying it. I'd rather drain the gas every couple years.

Ryan
Green sta-bil = marine sta-bil = formulated for ethanol. That's what I use without any issues in both of my skis and the Z.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I was planning on using it this year. Anyone else ever have trouble with it?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xX-Z28-Xx
Well, I was planning on using it this year. Anyone else ever have trouble with it?
I've never had any trouble with regular or marine sta-bil, or Star*tron and neither has my dad. We've done it to the Z for the 10 years we've owned it and haven't had any issues. Use it in our tractors, boat, etc as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What if you just bought your car this year, and this could be the first storage with it in? Will it do anything?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Marine fuel tanks have free flowing vents, which allows moisture to enter the tank. The mositure and ethanol are a bad combo. The ethanol absorbes the moisture so fast the gas will barely last 20-30 days before is begins to break down. The green ethanol treatment helps tremendously for marine use. The make a small fuel sampling kit that shows how fast moisture ruins fuel with an ethanol additive. Unless you are running an E85 combo stay away from it if you can.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

There is nothing wrong with Stabil. People been using it a long time. As far as the ethanol free gas, it doesn't exist here. The plants don't offer it as an option anymore so the gas stations have no choice.

Quick Reply: Lets talk fuel stabilizers