Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pressure drop issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pressure drop issue?

This has been going on for about two years and everyone says to not worry about it but it keeps getting to me. When I first key on my ignition it will jump up to my base pressure of 45 but then it will bleed off and go down unless I start the engine, then it will stay steady. No leaks what so ever. Gauge is an autometer phantom series 1 gauge (electric)
Old 11-05-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Go down to what? How long to do so?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will go right to base pressure and hold for a sec and then drop down to say 15-20 psi but as soon as the engine is started it holds strong. Btw its a complete return style set-up with three pumps, two pumps on at all times and the third is triggered on at a set boost level.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it pushing back through the pumps if you dont have a check valve between the reg. and the pumps, or the diaphragm in the reg. may be letting some fuel through.
easy way to check to see if the reg is bleeding off, take the return line off with something catching the fuel that comes out of the reg. pressurize the system,shut it off and when it starts to bleed down if it still coming out of the reg. its bleeding through the reg. if the fuel stops coming out of the reg. you need a check valve between the pumps and reg.