Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help! Fuel Gauge has a mind of it's own.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Fuel Gauge has a mind of it's own.

Tried a search and couldnt find anything.(gonna try Google also) My fuel gauge is acting up and giving incorrect reading at various times. I'll try my best to explain. Full Tank of gas it works great. 1/2 tank or less it will occasionally drop the needle to E while I'm driving, sometimes it will slowly raise back up, otherwise I have turn car off and restart to get the Needle back. I'f I park on an incline like my driveway and start it, Needle won't move off of E, until I back out and start driving.

Anyone know What & How to Test? I'm assuming there's some kind of Float that is sticking or something in the tank maybe.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction to diagnose this is appreciated in advance. And most likely be followed up with a How-To post. Lmao
Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 AM
Launching!

Multimeter would be help to detect fault wiring or bad pump.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My camaro does the exact same thing. Some times I can shake the car and it'll come off E and start working. I have a fuel level sender code thrown so I'm assuming it's the sender itself. Racetronix sells them for around 50 bucks. I'm gonna do mine when it gets out of the body shop. Also I've heard of some people having the actual float get stuck and they put some chevron fuel treatment (like 7 or 8 a bottle) and it freed the float up but I have tried it on mine several times and no luck. I'm betting you have a bad sender.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

ever figure it out, mine has been doing this for like 3 weeks now
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Did this occur after installing a fuel pump? Mine does the same and it started after installing fuel pump kit and upgraded fuel pump harness. I kept thinking the float arm was getting caught on something because I could shake the car and sometimes it would read again. I've changed out the sender with the same results.

I'm about to pull the assembly to add a second pump I'll try putting a little more effort this time into fixing my problem.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically it is a bad level sensor.

After 10yrs many are on their last leg & just bumping the assembly while changing the pump can break off the fine wiskers on the sensor.

If you have erratic gauge operation, this is typically the problem.

A bad connection can also cause this, but 9 out of 10 it is the sensor.

I try to keep them in stock if interested.

Search this Thread