Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump may be going, It buzzes only for about a second...is that normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump may be going, It buzzes only for about a second...is that normal?

I have an 02Z, was running like a champ for years. Then one day I turned it on...it idled fine, then all of a sudden it started to idle hard like a misfire. It was chugging and coughing! then slowly just died.

I start it again, it will idle hard and die in about 30 secs or less. I see no leaks, don't smell anything funny. I turn the key all the way and put my ear to the gas cap and hear the pump buzzing but only for about 1 second then it turns off. Is that normal or should it stay on longer?

When I press on the gas it will rev higher but with each press it gets less and less power and will die faster than just leaving it idle alone.

The fuel filter was changed out exactly a year ago and has about 8k miles on it
and The plugs are about 4yrs old.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

when the pcm loses the siganl from the crank sensor (like when your car stalls) the fuel pump will shut off. also when you turn the key on the fuel pump only primes for two seconds then shuts off till you try to start it. listening to the fuel pump activate is not they way to diagnose it. you will need a fuel pressure gauge, get it at your local auto parts store. the schrader valve is right on your fuel rail and is easy to get to. twist the gauge on there and crank the car over, see if it has pressure and that it holds that pressure. you should have very little too no bleed down. the spec for your car is 55-62 psi. as long as your pressure is steady even when the car trys to stall then you dont have a problem with your pump.if the pressure goes way down when it stalls then throw a AC Delco pump and a new filter in it...good luck.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlumaroZ28
when the pcm loses the siganl from the crank sensor (like when your car stalls) the fuel pump will shut off. also when you turn the key on the fuel pump only primes for two seconds then shuts off till you try to start it. listening to the fuel pump activate is not they way to diagnose it. you will need a fuel pressure gauge, get it at your local auto parts store. the schrader valve is right on your fuel rail and is easy to get to. twist the gauge on there and crank the car over, see if it has pressure and that it holds that pressure. you should have very little too no bleed down. the spec for your car is 55-62 psi. as long as your pressure is steady even when the car trys to stall then you dont have a problem with your pump.if the pressure goes way down when it stalls then throw a AC Delco pump and a new filter in it...good luck.
thanks for all the info. I did order a brand new fuel pressure test gauge kit for $25 shipped and its for schrader valve cars. I have 2 other vehicles so the Z can stay out of commission for a while. I also bought an OBD2 usb type connector for my laptop and I acquired a couple of decent diagnostic Scan tools software, so maybe I can also read whats going on. The connector was like $10. I can maybe find out that way or just have the connector and software for my other cars or to help out some friends who need a reading.

Thanks again, I will try to find out exactly whats going on.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Well... while the car was idling the psi was a constant 60psi even right up until it dies. So when I get that usb connector ...maybe that will help