Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Issue..Need Help

Old 12-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Issue..Need Help

Have an 01 Chevy 1500 that just quit going down the road. After a
changing fuel filter and checking relays, I thought it was the pump. If you turn on ignition you can not hear the pump in the tank. We removed the truck bed and checked pump by pulling it out and turning on ignition. I tried a new pump out of the tank and it did not come on. Someone said that the truck bed has a ground that might prevent it from working when I unhooked the rear harness for the lights. Could this be the problem? I have voltage going to pump harness when I turn on the switch it reads 12 volts for about 2-5 seconds then goes away. What should I be looking for. If I let the truck set overnite it will run for about a minute before dying. HELP

Also where is the fuel regulator and could that be the issue. Also what is the relay beside the fuel tank for and could this be the problem of the black box that butts to the front of my tank and the fuel pressure line goes to.

Last edited by Danny Thomas; 12-26-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel pump running for 2-5 seconds is normal, unless the ECM receives an RPM signal indicating the engine is running. Then the fuel pump will continue running.
When the pump is running for those 2-5 seconds there should be a rise in fuel pressure.

Search this Thread