Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Storing Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Storing Fuel Injectors

I replaced fuel injectors on one of my cars a while back and dropped the old ones in a plastic bag. In talking with a coworker about the work I was doing, he mentioned those fuel injectors I took off were probably junk now. I removed the injectors in October 2010 and he said they've all varnished and seized by now.

So I read up and found that before storing injectors, a good practice is to "open" the injector by applying current and soaking with WD-40, then leaving some WD-40 in the rail side for storage. Ooops, I should have read that sooner, oh well.

Now I'm working on gathering parts for another car and I'd like to reuse these old injectors. The plan is to send them to FIC for rebuild/reflow to 42#.

So here's the question: after fuel injectors are rebuilt, how long can they be stored dry? A year? 3 years? I don't intend on waiting a year, but I've been curious and I'm just gathering parts for the work.... thanks in advance for input!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I replaced fuel injectors on one of my cars a while back and dropped the old ones in a plastic bag. In talking with a coworker about the work I was doing, he mentioned those fuel injectors I took off were probably junk now. I removed the injectors in October 2010 and he said they've all varnished and seized by now.

So I read up and found that before storing injectors, a good practice is to "open" the injector by applying current and soaking with WD-40, then leaving some WD-40 in the rail side for storage. Ooops, I should have read that sooner, oh well.

Now I'm working on gathering parts for another car and I'd like to reuse these old injectors. The plan is to send them to FIC for rebuild/reflow to 42#.

So here's the question: after fuel injectors are rebuilt, how long can they be stored dry? A year? 3 years? I don't intend on waiting a year, but I've been curious and I'm just gathering parts for the work.... thanks in advance for input!
Send them in, but before you use them if it's over 6 mos, send them back we will reflow and check them for free. If any are bad we will fix or replace it.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
Send them in, but before you use them if it's over 6 mos, send them back we will reflow and check them for free. If any are bad we will fix or replace it.
That's the information I was looking for, thank you! I may wait a bit before I send them since I'm only about 50% invested in the necessary parts so far, but you'll see these injectors soon enough

Quick Reply: Storing Fuel Injectors