Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Tested my fuel pressure.. Sound Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tested my fuel pressure.. Sound Wrong?

Stock fuel system with Greentop 42s and obviously changed fuel filter. Hooked the tester up and turned key on, car will not hold pressure key on, engine off. It drops rapidly until the teens where it slows down. Then started it up and needle fluctuates rapidly from 54-59. Cut engine off, key off and pressure drops rapidly again...

So is this a sign of a leaky injector(s)? Or is my pump bad? Regulator maybe? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Could be leaks in the jumper hose that connects the fuel pump to the underside of the fuel sender flange, many people have had this problem; especially if it is a rubber hose and you have been running ethanol
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Well thats in the tank so ill replace the pump and regulator if I go in that deep...
Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you making the pump run with a jumper, key on engine off? If not the pump will only run a short time. The small line in the tank is easy to check, just fill the tank. If the small line breaks it will only cause a problem when the tank is low.

The pressure bleeding off could also be an injector, or the regulator. It's not really a big deal unless it is an injector.

Al 95 Z29
Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Well I thought it was an injector at first but the pressure drops immediately like theres nothing holding it back. Wouldnt an injector be slower? Every other cause is in the tank so if Im going to drop the tank, Ill replace it all the first time. I think it may be the fuel pump check valve, which means fuel pump on the way under.