Compressed natural gas for high hp use (why can't it be done?) - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Fueling & Injection
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Fueling & Injection
Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Compressed natural gas for high hp use (why can't it be done?)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Staging Lane
 
5.3-on-steroids's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooksville/Tampa, FL
Posts: 85
Send a message via Skype™ to 5.3-on-steroids
Default Compressed natural gas for high hp use (why can't it be done?)

They recently opened a new cng station behind my house and it has really gotten me doing alot of research on the stuff. I know it's not new technology and fleet vehicle have been using it forever. But the things about it that really appeal to are:
2.19 a gallon as opposed to 3.95 for gasoline
no fuel pump required
130 octane
substabtially less emissions
130 octane and
130 octane....
I've done alot of reading and it seems most people switch to cng to save on fuel costs. But the only car i've really seem that makes a ton of power using cng was a SL65 benz with a v12 biturbo that has 800 hp and a standing mile record. I have an s10 with a 5.3 and a tc78 that makes 600 at the wheels right now. I would like to convert it to cng and get all its benefits and push it up to around maybe 800 hp or so and taking advantange of all of cng's benefits and at the same time retain the stock ecu and tune it with hp tuners. With 130 octane detonation shouldnt be an issue, i've read that it likes a higher than normal static CR and a very strong spark to ignite it completely.

My main problem is finding performance minded people that use cng and are willing to unleash the full potential of it. Along with finding a kit with the necessry parts to support such a large power goal. Any help, info, or links are greatly appreciated. Thanks
__________________
95' s10 5.3 swap, 4L80e, turbonetics TC78 rear mount, self contained oiling. 630 rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8 View Post
Tired of blower whine? That's like getting tired of *******!!!
5.3-on-steroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Teching In
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: western NY
Posts: 31
Send a message via AIM to somedude
Default

I don't know much about it, but I was thinking about this in the shower about 20 min ago so finding this thread got my interest.
__________________
1994 turboSHO 12.79 @108.9 (sold)
1990 taurus SHO mostly stock
4th gen F bod with SHO engine in progress
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 18
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: the chi/ addison Il
Posts: 520
Default

Some one posted about a new camaro that ran off it. I think it made around 700hp or so. It got me real interested in it. Post up what you find
__________________
******3 TEXT LINES (BLANK LINES ALSO COUNT) IS THE MAX WITH SIG PIC!!!!!! -Admin******

99 z28 hooker LT's, slp lid
99 z28 6.0 turbo set up on the way
my stuff is way better than blackbird87's stuff
massconfusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 590
Send a message via AIM to cjmatt
Default

Ive heard of a guy locally doing this with propane
__________________
2001 Saleen S281 - LSX, 4L80e, GT5588
2010 Nissan GT-R
cjmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Staging Lane
 
5.3-on-steroids's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooksville/Tampa, FL
Posts: 85
Send a message via Skype™ to 5.3-on-steroids
Default

I know, I really want to see this take off but everyone has their head so far up the *** of gasoline I cant find much. Just think, how much would 130 octane race fuel cost? You can kiss detonation goodbye.
__________________
95' s10 5.3 swap, 4L80e, turbonetics TC78 rear mount, self contained oiling. 630 rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8 View Post
Tired of blower whine? That's like getting tired of *******!!!
5.3-on-steroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
LS1Tech Sponsor
 
FICINJECTORS's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 30
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumming, Ga
Posts: 1,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.3-on-steroids View Post
I know, I really want to see this take off but everyone has their head so far up the *** of gasoline I cant find much. Just think, how much would 130 octane race fuel cost? You can kiss detonation goodbye.
Injected engineering in kennesaw ga is building a 2012 camaro to run on propane, call Ryan he has a good handle on the systems, rails, etc.
FICINJECTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
TECH Apprentice
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Berlin Wi
Posts: 307
Default

I'm interested in this as well. There was a thread a while back with pics of a 5th gen converted to cng. The op never posted after the origional thread start.
In for info.
Kory
Also any info on the 600whp turbo s10? sounds bad ***.
Kory 88Iroc Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Staging Lane
 
5.3-on-steroids's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooksville/Tampa, FL
Posts: 85
Send a message via Skype™ to 5.3-on-steroids
Default

Here is a few pics of the truck to be converted
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
95' s10 5.3 swap, 4L80e, turbonetics TC78 rear mount, self contained oiling. 630 rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8 View Post
Tired of blower whine? That's like getting tired of *******!!!
5.3-on-steroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Moderator
 
jimmyblue's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 11
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 12,364
Default

Propane wants a little more CR to be happy. CNG wants
diesel-range CRs (and can be mixed in those motors to
a pretty high degree). I suppose big boost on a more
"normal" CR could be a way to go.

CNG has lousy storage density, you can't do LNG without
a Dewar type tank. You see CNG mostly on short-route
busses where they have plenty of roof "real estate" for
the big-*** tanks.

Joules per liter and Joules per pound relative to propane
and gasoline and diesel, I think are all stacked against
natural gas.
__________________


2002 SS convertible

SLP Blackwing lid, 85mm MAF, 85mm Professional Products intake & TB, SLP CME, JBAs/Mufflex tubes . SLP Y, McCord cutout, Fuddle 3500/2.0, GM truck pan, '98 flexplate, 3.42s, T-2R, MAC cover, welded tubes, Hotchkiss PHR, springs; BMR bolt-in LCA brackets, K-member; UMI TA, boxed stock 1LE LCAs, SLP Bilstein / Gabriel air shocks (F/R); Strano 35/22 sway bars, 224/224 116 cam, LT1 rad, HPTuners 12.6@112MPH
jimmyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Staging Lane
 
5.3-on-steroids's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooksville/Tampa, FL
Posts: 85
Send a message via Skype™ to 5.3-on-steroids
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS View Post
Injected engineering in kennesaw ga is building a 2012 camaro to run on propane, call Ryan he has a good handle on the systems, rails, etc.
Im gonna look into this thanks.
__________________
95' s10 5.3 swap, 4L80e, turbonetics TC78 rear mount, self contained oiling. 630 rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8 View Post
Tired of blower whine? That's like getting tired of *******!!!
5.3-on-steroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
TECH Resident
 
HRHohio's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.3-on-steroids View Post
95' s10 5.3 swap, 4L80e, turbonetics TC78 rear mount, self contained oiling. 630 rwhp
What A/R is that TC78? PSI? Cam? etc... Nice ride by the way.

What other upgrades? (Intake I see... otherwise?)

Just wondering for a friend. He's got a '03 GMC Sierra 5.3 with a front Mount T76.

Thanks!
HRHohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Staging Lane
 
5.3-on-steroids's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooksville/Tampa, FL
Posts: 85
Send a message via Skype™ to 5.3-on-steroids
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyblue View Post
Propane wants a little more CR to be happy. CNG wants
diesel-range CRs (and can be mixed in those motors to
a pretty high degree). I suppose big boost on a more
"normal" CR could be a way to go.

CNG has lousy storage density, you can't do LNG without
a Dewar type tank. You see CNG mostly on short-route
busses where they have plenty of roof "real estate" for
the big-*** tanks.

Joules per liter and Joules per pound relative to propane
and gasoline and diesel, I think are all stacked against
natural gas.
I called this company the other day. http://ewsews.com/cnghome.html

They only have mixer sytems which is not the route I plan to go, but they have CF wrapped aluminum tanks that store a GGE equivelant to 10 gallons of gasoline that weigh in around 150 lb. I need the extra weight in the back of the truck anyway. What do you mean by "all stacked against natural gas"?
__________________
95' s10 5.3 swap, 4L80e, turbonetics TC78 rear mount, self contained oiling. 630 rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8 View Post
Tired of blower whine? That's like getting tired of *******!!!
5.3-on-steroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Staging Lane
 
5.3-on-steroids's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooksville/Tampa, FL
Posts: 85
Send a message via Skype™ to 5.3-on-steroids
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHohio View Post
What A/R is that TC78? PSI? Cam? etc... Nice ride by the way.

What other upgrades? (Intake I see... otherwise?)

Just wondering for a friend. He's got a '03 GMC Sierra 5.3 with a front Mount T76.

Thanks!
Thanks, .96 a/r, LS6 cam and intake, comp pushrods and springs, siemens 60lbs, number was recorded on 11psi. Thats about it. I would like to ditch all that stuff and switch to a single plane tapped for cng nozzles, that would be ****.
__________________
95' s10 5.3 swap, 4L80e, turbonetics TC78 rear mount, self contained oiling. 630 rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8 View Post
Tired of blower whine? That's like getting tired of *******!!!
5.3-on-steroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
TECH Resident
 
HRHohio's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.3-on-steroids View Post
Thanks, .96 a/r, LS6 cam and intake, comp pushrods and springs, siemens 60lbs, number was recorded on 11psi. Thats about it. I would like to ditch all that stuff and switch to a single plane tapped for cng nozzles, that would be ****.
Nice Mods. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll pass the word.
(He got some poor numbers on the dyno this weekend. T76 w/.81 AR, Front Mount on his 5.3 only put down 353 rwhp @ 12 psi!) We can't seem to figure it out.)

Back to the subject. What about porting in the CNG or Propane into the throttle body like N20 or Methanol/Water Inj, to supplement the gasoline, increase octane, cool IAT, but not depend on it as the primary fuel?
HRHohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
Teching In
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 33
Default

The odds are stacked against it in that it has a much lower engergy density. "Generally" standard size cars using CNG make about 25% less power as far as I know, which relates to its reduced molecular energy potential. As for using it to increase octane, anything is possible in some sense but in practical terms I think it may be hard to nail because you have a lot of molecular instability spraying in a hydrocarbon chain like gas thats maybe 16 or 17 carbons long and then throwing in some tiney single carbon NG. I mean it could work but if it weren't perfect then the 16 would detonate and the NG would burn. I would see it as being possible but in practical application I think it would be a lot of money on parts that you could come out with more hp from gas because of energy density when executed correctly, even accounting for the octane difference, but if the project is for fun and learning it would be cool.
slpfirehawk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
TECH Resident
 
HRHohio's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpfirehawk415 View Post
The odds are stacked against it in that it has a much lower engergy density. "Generally" standard size cars using CNG make about 25% less power as far as I know, which relates to its reduced molecular energy potential. As for using it to increase octane, anything is possible in some sense but in practical terms I think it may be hard to nail because you have a lot of molecular instability spraying in a hydrocarbon chain like gas thats maybe 16 or 17 carbons long and then throwing in some tiney single carbon NG. I mean it could work but if it weren't perfect then the 16 would detonate and the NG would burn. I would see it as being possible but in practical application I think it would be a lot of money on parts that you could come out with more hp from gas because of energy density when executed correctly, even accounting for the octane difference, but if the project is for fun and learning it would be cool.
I think I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with a couple of things from your statement. Just a difference of opinion, not trying to be mean.

Point 1: "The odds are stacked against it in that it has a much lower engergy density. "Generally" standard size cars using CNG make about 25% less power as far as I know, which relates to its reduced molecular energy potential." - Once could say the same for ethanol or E85. Much lower energy potential, makes 25% less power in same engine. BUT some of the most powerful engines are running on ethanol because of it's high octane/anti-knock properties. Upping the compression and/or increasing the boost allows us to take advantage of this. We're not talking about just switching fuels, we're talking about a redesign in engine technology.

Point 2: " As for using it to increase octane, anything is possible in some sense but in practical terms I think it may be hard to nail because you have a lot of molecular instability spraying in a hydrocarbon chain like gas thats maybe 16 or 17 carbons long and then throwing in some tiney single carbon NG." - Isn't this what we're doing with Methanol Injection? Spraying a tiney single carbon, in this case CH3-OH instead of CH4, into the throttle body to be mixed with the "hydrocarbon chain like gas" (i.e. aerosolized/vaporized by the fuel injectors).

Point 3: "I would see it as being possible but in practical application I think it would be a lot of money on parts that you could come out with more hp from gas because of energy density when executed correctly, even accounting for the octane difference..." - What we've found through the use of E85 is that despite the fact that the energy density is less than gasoline, the Octane properties overcompensate. Generally, we are able to get 10-15% MORE power from an engine properly setup using E85 than we could with straight gasoline.

E85 has become huge in the racing scene over the past 10 years because people have tested it and figured out how to take advantage of its chemical properties (i.e. higher octane). We just realized that because of the lower energy density, we need to up the injectors and fuel flow. I think CNG might be the new E85.

Just my opinions of course. Not hating on ya.
HRHohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
TECH Regular
 
GulfM3's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cypress TX
Posts: 422
Default

I don't know how much HP these injectors will flow, but I would assume with a custom fuel rail and CNG regulator you could use HP tuners to run CNG with the stock computer.
Crank up the boost and add lots of timing.... I'd really like to see what kind of numbers you can make!

http://www.ngvglobal.com/new-delphi-...eady-2011-0914

The injectors are $$$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Bosch-0280...ht_1236wt_1165

Biggest problem with most cars converting to CNG is the tank, your S10 would be a perfect candidate, plenty of room in the bed.
__________________

09 Z06, 05 CTS-V twin turbo, 2010 Raptor
GulfM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
TECH Senior Member
 
NemeSS's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 124
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 6,672
Default

No way is it practical in street/strip type CAR.
S10,trucks,suv. And even the boat of the 5th. As if it wasn't heavy enuff alredy. I've looked into this stuff, since there is a cng station 1 miles down from where I live.
But just not practical for typical car use IMO.

Now, I've been experimenting with a. Old cast iron sbc 305. Been adding acetone mixed with the gasoline. Seems to be more responsive. If it holds. I'm gonna mill the iron heads to raise scr and increase the acetone ratio. Right now I got it at 10gas:1:ac. Ran just got more responsive and more peppy. Tolerates a bit more total timing. Hasn't burned down or caught fire. Yet....
NemeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
TECH Resident
 
HRHohio's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeSS View Post
No way is it practical in street/strip type CAR.
S10,trucks,suv. And even the boat of the 5th. As if it wasn't heavy enuff alredy. I've looked into this stuff, since there is a cng station 1 miles down from where I live.
But just not practical for typical car use IMO.

Now, I've been experimenting with a. Old cast iron sbc 305. Been adding acetone mixed with the gasoline. Seems to be more responsive. If it holds. I'm gonna mill the iron heads to raise scr and increase the acetone ratio. Right now I got it at 10gas:1:ac. Ran just got more responsive and more peppy. Tolerates a bit more total timing. Hasn't burned down or caught fire. Yet....

Realistically, it's getting harder and harder to have an NA car that's street/strip. Turbo or Supercharged cars however are able to get incredible numbers while maintaining streetability.

As far as Acetone goes, at $16 a gallon, I think we'd be better off with Racing Fuel (locally $8 a gallon). BUT. I like your thinking... experimentation leads to new innovations!

Wish you luck, report back any observations.
HRHohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
Staging Lane
 
5.3-on-steroids's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooksville/Tampa, FL
Posts: 85
Send a message via Skype™ to 5.3-on-steroids
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfM3 View Post
I don't know how much HP these injectors will flow, but I would assume with a custom fuel rail and CNG regulator you could use HP tuners to run CNG with the stock computer.
Crank up the boost and add lots of timing.... I'd really like to see what kind of numbers you can make!

http://www.ngvglobal.com/new-delphi-...eady-2011-0914

The injectors are $$$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Bosch-0280...ht_1236wt_1165

Biggest problem with most cars converting to CNG is the tank, your S10 would be a perfect candidate, plenty of room in the bed.
This is amazing, cost isnt an issue. Im determined to prove a point here. But what I need to know is how do they rate the flow on these injectors being that they don't flow liquid and if doing a rail setup like this if it deletes the need for a reducer (the mecanisim that takes it from 3600 psi to 5psi) and what fpr ect. So many grey areas but so close to reality.
__________________
95' s10 5.3 swap, 4L80e, turbonetics TC78 rear mount, self contained oiling. 630 rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8 View Post
Tired of blower whine? That's like getting tired of *******!!!
5.3-on-steroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello All! LS1CK Introductions & Greetings 0 04-29-2015 01:44 PM
LMG on mid 90's 3/4-ton truck HeikkiH Conversions & Hybrids 2 01-13-2014 11:39 AM
2014 Ford F150 natural gas powered version.. JIBBBY Racer's Lounge 7 08-01-2013 09:19 AM
Converting to CNG? Ericmck2000 Forced Induction 33 04-21-2011 07:16 PM
TBW pedal assembly Ackattack1 Conversions & Hybrids 19 02-02-2008 08:00 PM


Tags
53, 800hp, camaro, cng, compressed, dont, engine, engines, gas, high, ls, ls1, natural, s10, tanks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details