Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

anyone running a surge tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running a surge tank?

I wanted to do a surge tank fuel set up for my turbo build. Was going to do two walbro 255 inside a 1gal surgetank while still keeping stock pump in place. Lmk what ya think if any pics our ideas and input. Thanks mi
Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think u would be better off doibg 2 walbros intank. If u move up to say 2 o44s a surge tank would be a great idea
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nothing beats a swirl pot (and to a lesser degree a surge tank) for consistent fueling under all conditions. Do you plan to road race at all?

It's much easier to have a tank with a proper sump/pickup for street/drag racing than a car that sees the twisties as part of it's life.

If you are serious about putting in a surge tank, do some research on road racing forums and look into swirl pot options if possible.

Good ones are a little pricey compared to the China surge tanks available but they offer the best possible setup in that they de-aerate the fuel with a swirl action no matter how you are flinging the car around. Even if you suck a little air here and there from your main tank to the swirl pot your engine will never see the air or miss a beat unlike a main tank only setup which could put the air in your rails/injectors and make your engine stumble or even worse.

If you look at the last page of my build page, you will see the swirl pot I went with and the original junk surge tank it replaced:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-build-11.html
Old 03-27-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

I'm in the process of building a 1 gallon surge tank for my CTS-V, making it out of 4"x6" aluminum rectangle tube with a 2"x2" sump in the rear. The tank will be feeding 1 bosch 044 external for now with the ability to easily mount a second 044 if needed.

Depending on your application Surge tanks can provide good fueling. In my case with the CTS-V, there are few options for high HP fuel systems. I have heard rumors of a vendor rigging up a second pump in the tank and I've seen a members dual intank system with the second pump on the passenger half of the tank, but both of these options limit your fueling below 1/4 tank... which wasn't an option for me.

Feel free to PM me if you want pictures as i build my surge tank.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea those pics would be great and its a street strip set up. So the two inline walbros won't be so great?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

I had a surge tank setup in my subaru. I used a single walbro to feed the tank and an a1000 to push the fuel to the front of the car. Then the return dumped back into the surge tank. Never had a single problem with it. It was just really loud.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Does/would this work with a returnless OEM system where a pump speed controller is trying to maintain a pressure, all while lower pressure fuel is being returned to the surge tank? Seems return fuel would have to go to the main tank instead?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

I had an overflow Line in the surge tank that would dump all the excess fuel back into the main tank.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 AM

The only input I have is that you need to make sure that you set it all up properly.

Quick Reply: anyone running a surge tank?