Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Crazy Fueling Problems With Swaped 3rd Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Crazy Fueling Problems With Swaped 3rd Gen Camaro

1989 camaro 305 TBI car, It is now Lm7. I am running a walbro in tank in place of factory pump, I have the good old corvette FPR mounted in the factory fuel filter location. I cut the return line that runs up to the engine bay and connected it to the corvette fpr.

My problem, I keep loosing Pressure at the rail at random times. I have changed the fpr 3 times thinking that was the problem. The first fpr lasted about 8 days. I took off from a light and bam it just died, I had no pressure at the rail. The car sat for a few min and I got fuel pressure back and drove it home. Now when it does this you can hear the pump running and if you hit the shradder valve on the rail I am getting a lot of air out of the system and im not sure how its getting there.

When I replaced the first fpr we took it on a small trip to get a few things changed on the tune. We where messing with the shift points and took it out to test it and after 5000 rpm it was starving for fuel, so on our way back to the house the car died, no fuel pressure. I swaped out the fpr again and only made it about a mile before it died again.
Here is the odd thing, when it wont start I can hit the shradder valve and get really foamy fuel with lots of air pockets. I pulled the sender up as far as I could to look in the tank and there is no way im sucking air. The pump and where the pump is attached to the sending unit is completely submerged in fuel.

Im at a loss I dont really know where to start because I dont see why my current setup isnt working.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

I made an observation, the car is running fine at the moment I got my pressure gauge hooked up and I can hit the purge button when its running and hold it and the regulater will send the extra fuel and keep the pressure up. I also noticed that the pressure and the rail with the eingine off is staying at 59lbs and doesnt bleed off. Is the regulator what is holding the pressure at the rail and keeping it from bleeding off? I noticed the 2nd fpr was letting the pressure bleed off the rail. I dont know if this helps but I thought I would share.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

No one? The car is running perfect at the moment with no air in the lines.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are getting air its coming from somewhere most likely a bad connection from the pump in the tank. Or the lines are not connecting to the regulator correctly bleeding off pressure. Proper setup should hold pressure for a while when off.

Sounds like you got it figured out if its running fine now.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

No it only does it when the pump has ran for a while. I can drive it back and forth to work with no problems but when I drive 30 min + it looses pressure and get air in it.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

I bought a new walbro 255 from summit just now it should be here by friday... Im thinking about ordering a normal regulator and ditching the vette reg. also.