Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Does this sound like a fuel issue?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound like a fuel issue?

Sometimes it takes about five seconds for my car to start, other times it starts right up. It's totally random. I've noticed that no matter how much or how little though, it always starts right up after putting some gas in it (never hesitates to start after fueling basically).

I've also noticed that if it struggles to start I can stop trying to start it and then retry literally instantly and it starts right up without problem. If I drive for prolonged periods of time, or hard at a track, the fuel pump starts whining incredibly loud to the point where I've had someone ask me if my tire was holding air (regardless of how much fuel I have). My car also shut off completely one day on the way home after normal driving (felt the EXACT same as when you run out of fuel), but I wasn't empty and it started right up and pulled to 90 flawlessly on the way to the gas station.

The car in question is a 1998 Camaro Z28 (A4). It's got a K&N filter, otherwise stock. The plugs, wires, fuel filter, and all oils have less than 3k on them. I've had this problem since I first got the car (prior to the K&N and tuneup) and obviously it still exists. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 AM
TECH Resident

likely your fuel pump could have been run dry from previous owner or it is just showing its age.

i vote for fuel pump. they are not supposed to be loud as hell as you are describing.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

In what ways does a bad fuel pump effect performance? This might explain why I'm not running like I should in the 1/8th.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Bad pump = low fuel psi = low inj output = lowered HP = poor performance = poor start = time to check the fuel psi, and find out what it is, when these problems occur.

Could also be low voltage to the pump, **** in the tank,etc.....
Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or, coincidence plus a case of sticking starter relay...

my moneys not on the fuel system. When you key on do you hear the pump prime up?

also swap your A/C relay with the starter relay. I think they are the same size..?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Yes, I can hear the fuel pump when starting my car. It sounds about like the one in my Mustang before it went out.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

So, am I ever supposed to hear my fuel pump?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

u should hear it, but it shouldn't be very loud. it should just be like a hum in the background.

Search this Thread