Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fast ez efi 2.0 vs factory gm injection

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast ez efi 2.0 vs factory gm injection

I was supposed to do a blower build with a whipple 2.9 but funds for that plus the new rear end and roll cage setup will drain the $9k funds I have and then some...

I want to know if it will be more efficient to do a ez efi vs the cost of the parts and tuning to do the gm injection.

I already have the engine setup and running for 2 years with a carb and msd 6010 box but I want reliable afr control and am ready to move on from the carb.

so heres my question, would it be cheaper and better to sell my fuel setup and start over with a gm ls3 fuel injection setup complete, a wiring harness and a computer and have it tuned. Or just sell my carb and drop the coin on a new ez efi 2.0 setup? It seems like its a good deal and supports 1200 hp, thats more than I plan even with spray....

My engine started life as a lq4 but now its a lq9 with ls3 heads, I dont know if that eill cause issues for the wiring hsrness on the gm stuff?
thoughts please?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I prefer EFI over carbs for almost any application. More complicated and expensive, but much more accurate.

I'm not a big fan of the EZ EFI system. It uses a central throttle body (which is good), but the injectors are mounted on the TB (which is bad). It's a compromise; You get some of the advantages of EFI, but you also get a wet manifold like a carb.

A system with a central TB, large plenum, and port injection will give you the best performance - that's why all the manufacturers use it.

The cheapest way to go is all stock GM parts. But if you're planning on a radical engine with a blower and big cam, the stock ECU might limit you.

Consider modding your current intake manifold with injector ports, using a 1,000 cfm TB bolted to the carb pad, and then controlling it with a Megasquirt III ECU. If you're going to use a blower later, include ignition control as well.

The MS III gives you a lot of options for controlling just about everything. You can include two different tunes in the ECU - 1 for pump gas and 1 for E85 - and control it with a dash switch. And, you get data logging onto an SD card.
http://www.diyautotune.com/

There is a myth out there that some ECU's are self tuning. Not true at all. Good software will "self tune" pretty close - like 85-90% of the fuel maps. But you have to fill in that last 10-15% on your own. And there are a lot of other parameters you need to tune yourself. It's not rocket science- but there is a learning curve.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MS3 sucks.....they are designed for people on a tight budget who dont mind a lesser system

I would use a stock ECU before I would ever recommend or try to use a MegaJunk system
there was a time when it was the only thing around for a decent budget price...
now its just old, outdated, and needs to be forgotten about

go with an XFI or a Holley ECU...
they will far outperform the stock ECU and a stock ECU outperforms a MS3

Last edited by soundengineer; 01-28-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I appreciate the input. This is more a race truck that sees less than 2k street miles a year. I was under the impression that a wet charge of aor was a cooler charge of air and thats why the carb out performed the standard fuel injection.

I want to go with as much of a self learning system as I can to keep from doing a tune atall. Thats why I was leaning twards the ez efi system.

I want to modify as little as I can to make this work. Id be more inclined in getting a new manifold than drilling mine. It seems the more I "modify to make work" the more I worry if its right lol.

im going to need another way to make more power than I already do to improve my trap speed. So I was thinking about finally filling my bottle I have had for 3 years now. Something in the range of 150 hp will give me close to what I want. Can you spray with the holley port injection?

I gotta do the rear end, cage, seats, wheels and drag tires, injection, pistons, and the fuel system for about 7-9k. All my labor is free and the fuel system is just needing a pump (200$) a regulator (200$) and a 6an return line (100$).

Can I get this done for the cost I have set?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yes... the holley can handle the spray....you would need to go in with a computer to set it up....but it is there and it works well.

and there is no such thing as a self tuning system...
you still have to set up the basics...you still have to verify that the spark , and it will learn fuel, but again...you still have to have it setup correctly.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah thats the way I understood it as well. I will look into them all and make a choice here soon. Thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply: fast ez efi 2.0 vs factory gm injection