Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Irritating when filling up gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Irritating when filling up gas

This has been happening for a while now and not at every gas station but at some, guess its the type of pump they use. When im filling up and i pull all the way up on the handle to fill it up fast like normal it will snap like its a full tank and i have to pull up on it very slightly not all the way on the handle and slowly fill up the tank so it wont click or snap as if the gas tank is full.

Sorry for the explanation but you guys know when you fill up your tank all the way the handle snaps down to let you know your full, well mine does it from the get go. Again this doesnt happen at every gas station but happens about half the time. Its not a huge deal i can stand there a couple of minutes extra and fill it up slowly but why doesnt it just work normal.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think its the actually gas stations if I go to chevron or Shell I never get this problem only on cheap gas stations like Circle K ect
Old 05-04-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issue with my 01 but it only happened after I installed the blower. There is a thread around here that explains some good theories on it. I dont think its the gas stations. I'll see if I can find the thread.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Try this, see if this gives you anything to troubleshoot.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-pump-gas.html
Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 2001 Camaro has 'ORVR' On board refueling vapor recovery, I think the F body started in 1998 not sure, which means several things could be causing your filling problem.
1) There is an 'ICV' Inlet Check Valve, at the end of you filler tube, it is a plunger device that lets fuel in when you are filling your tank, but the plunger can get stuck and cause fill problems...your are best served just getting rid of it if you can.
2) Next, there is an 'FLVV' Fill Limit Vent Valve, this vents the vapors while you are filling your tank, and a float mechanism will shut off the flow of vapor once the tank is full and cause a pressure spike that will shut off the fuel nozzle...but once again, this FLVV can get stuck shut and cause the nozzle to shut off prematurely...the only fix is a new tank that a new FLVV is welded to.
3) Next there is a 'CVS' Canister Vent Solenoid, this is the next path that the tank vapors pass through after the FLVV. The CVS will shut during the OBD II cycle to verify if there is a leak in the evap system...but if the CVS malfunctions and sticks shut...you won't vent the vapors during a fill and the fuel nozzle will keep shutting off. You can buy a new one at the dealership.
4) Next there is the Carbon canister, the vapors pass through the FLVV to the CVS then to the Canister...over time the canister can get clogged with gook and vapors can't pass through anymore...you can buy a new one from the dealer.
5) Anywhere along the way the vapor vent line can get clogged with debris or kinked and not allow vapors to pass causing premature shutoffs during fill.
Sorry, but these are all the things that can be causing your filling problem, not easy to know which it is....good luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

That was really informative, not at all what I wanted to hear but it does give me some things to search for.

Quick Reply: Irritating when filling up gas