Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car sat over 1 year,runs like crap..Fuel Pump/Injectors???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car sat over 1 year,runs like crap..Fuel Pump/Injectors???

Well long story short i busted a rocker and my car sat for well over a year and now that the rocker is fixed it idles and runs terrible.im about to change the plugs and wires but was wondering since it sat for so long that my pump (stock) has craped out,or my injectors are just clogged (Siemens 42lb).Whats the normal protocol for flushing a fuel system after it sits for so long.....Thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gas is bad... We have had 7 various vehicles that have came in to work running like **** after sitting for as little as 6 months... found out the new gas dont last long...
Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SVTconfused
gas is bad... We have had 7 various vehicles that have came in to work running like **** after sitting for as little as 6 months... found out the new gas dont last long...
When it broke it had under 1/8 of a tank,after it got fixed i put a little under 1/2 tank in and only run it a little because of the car wanting to die and bucking under load.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Launching!

how long did it idle for?

any codes? did the car smell rich?

is the MAF clean?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Launching!

The car will idle for a few min the the rpms will eventually fall and the car will die.No codes have popped up and im not sure if it smells rich.When i drove the car it was missing bad and breaking up.The car has no MAF sensor,its tuned in SD.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The fuel psi is?
The current gas is so $hitty that many lawn equipment mfgrs are recommending you keep fuel for no longer than 30 days!
My personal experience is in cleaning injs from the local salvage yard. They sell an engine, it runs like $hit, or won't run at all.. In many cases the injs are toast..
Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Well i had the car into a shop and fuel pressure is fine but running RICH!.He said all injectors are firing but maybe the injector dwell is not correct via the tune which i find to be B.S because tunes do not go bad...So im kinda stumped,car is going in for a tune tuesday and im not sure what i should check,maybe the 02 sensors????

EDIT: He also said a spark plug was wet with fuel,what would be the cause of this...could this be my inital problem??

Last edited by RedDemonLsX; 05-26-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Probably the most common cause of that would be the injector stuck open, maybe due to the stale gas + corrosion from sitting.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by patSS/00
Probably the most common cause of that would be the injector stuck open, maybe due to the stale gas + corrosion from sitting.
How would I go about checking that and does that also mean it would need replaced?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Just thinking out in the dark here, but have you tried running GM performance injector cleaner to the full tank?

Gas does go bad and degrade if no stabilizer's are added.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
Just thinking out in the dark here, but have you tried running GM performance injector cleaner to the full tank?

Gas does go bad and degrade if no stabilizer's are added.
The bad gas that was left in the car for a year was only a little above redline,and it has since been run through with new gas...almost a half tanks worth.The wet plug is reall what concerns me,is an open injector the only cause of this problem
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
The fuel psi is?
The current gas is so $hitty that many lawn equipment mfgrs are recommending you keep fuel for no longer than 30 days!My personal experience is in cleaning injs from the local salvage yard. They sell an engine, it runs like $hit, or won't run at all.. In many cases the injs are toast..

Gas quality is bad everywhere right now?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Seafoam help?...Maybe worth a shot?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

How did he check the injectors? Just hearing them click dosent mean anything. The common thing ive read on the board is pull them and soak em in seafoam over night . Should loosen any trash or build up making the pintle possibly stick . If it isnt a injector
you could have a weak/ no spark on the wet plugs cylinder. And on another note .. How did you bust a rocker? Is that all that busted?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Emdmechanic
How did he check the injectors? Just hearing them click dosent mean anything. The common thing ive read on the board is pull them and soak em in seafoam over night . Should loosen any trash or build up making the pintle possibly stick . If it isnt a injector
you could have a weak/ no spark on the wet plugs cylinder. And on another note .. How did you bust a rocker? Is that all that busted?
Not sure how he check that,i was thinking about just adding seafoam to my tank,would that be suffice? For the Rocker breakage it just happened one day when i was coming to a stop,here is a thread i made with the pics of the rocker that was snapped .

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cker-pics.html
Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDemonLsX
When it broke it had under 1/8 of a tank,after it got fixed i put a little under 1/2 tank in and only run it a little because of the car wanting to die and bucking under load.
That's because even after a day of no power to the brain, the brain re-learns the parameters all over again. So it will sound like it wants to die, idling from low rpms then sparatically jumping up and so on... Did you follow the correct proceedure for tq'ing down the rocker arm? I forgot the way but I'm sure you can search it on here.

Like some said, def throw some stabilizer like Iso Heat water removal inj. cleaner for the Sea Foam... add that directly into the the main vacuum line from the brake booster about 1/3 bottle once a week til gone if you're using it daily til you get it up and running right. I do the same on my garage queen when I start it up once every week to clear it's throat but I only need to do about 1/5 of the bottle... don't add it on cold starts. You want the heat from engine to heat up any gunk so it's easier to disolve.

How I do mine...
-Idle for 5 min.

-Take off booster vacuum line pure seafoam down the hose put it back on
brake booster and immediately shut off engine. Let it sit for 5 min (10 for you)

-Start it up and if there was a bunch of carbon/gunk watch the HUGE white smoke fire outta your tail pipes

Hope this helps out some.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
That's because even after a day of no power to the brain, the brain re-learns the parameters all over again. So it will sound like it wants to die, idling from low rpms then sparatically jumping up and so on... Did you follow the correct proceedure for tq'ing down the rocker arm? I forgot the way but I'm sure you can search it on here.

Like some said, def throw some stabilizer like Iso Heat water removal inj. cleaner for the Sea Foam... add that directly into the the main vacuum line from the brake booster about 1/3 bottle once a week til gone if you're using it daily til you get it up and running right. I do the same on my garage queen when I start it up once every week to clear it's throat but I only need to do about 1/5 of the bottle... don't add it on cold starts. You want the heat from engine to heat up any gunk so it's easier to disolve.

How I do mine...
-Idle for 5 min.

-Take off booster vacuum line pure seafoam down the hose put it back on
brake booster and immediately shut off engine. Let it sit for 5 min (10 for you)

-Start it up and if there was a bunch of carbon/gunk watch the HUGE white smoke fire outta your tail pipes

Hope this helps out some.
Well the plot thickens....

I went and got seafoam engine treatment,and seafoam spray.I added to the gas as per instruction and did the spray directly into the throttle body per instruction.I let the car sit for 5-10 min and im like"Ok,let see the smoke show"...I went to start the car and it does not start,it does not even crank.So ofcorse im scared shitless thinking i screwed something up.I then look at the dash and my security light is flashing...WTF.I come in and do some research and i guess that is a VATS issue with my car not reading the chip on my key.I tried everything to get the car to start and the security light just keeps flashing and the car does nothing(interior light and radio all work)

Now my headlight,interior light and radio stay on with the key out of the ignition,my doors wont lock with the FOB and i hear a clicking sound coming from under the passenger side dash.I had to un hook my battery to get it all to shut off...WTMF!!!!!

Can someone please tell me what going on in my car,does the BCM control all this,is it possible that has crapped out too??
Old 05-28-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDemonLsX
Well the plot thickens....

I went and got seafoam engine treatment,and seafoam spray.I added to the gas as per instruction and did the spray directly into the throttle body per instruction.I let the car sit for 5-10 min and im like"Ok,let see the smoke show"...I went to start the car and it does not start,it does not even crank.So ofcorse im scared shitless thinking i screwed something up.I then look at the dash and my security light is flashing...WTF.I come in and do some research and i guess that is a VATS issue with my car not reading the chip on my key.I tried everything to get the car to start and the security light just keeps flashing and the car does nothing(interior light and radio all work)

Now my headlight,interior light and radio stay on with the key out of the ignition,my doors wont lock with the FOB and i hear a clicking sound coming from under the passenger side dash.I had to un hook my battery to get it all to shut off...WTMF!!!!!

Can someone please tell me what going on in my car,does the BCM control all this,is it possible that has crapped out too??
I had my vats replaced. Drove to work, parked, got lunch at noon and by 4pm, car didn't want to start. I pushed started it 5x's and it died everytime like there was no gas in it. Radio and battery all worked and could even hear the fuel pump clicking on. Try disconnecting the battery for an hour and hook it back up and cross your fingers...
Old 05-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Launching!

I bet the pumps fuel screen in the tank is shot from sitting.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Well i got the BCM to stop clicking by changing the courtesy fuse,and my doors now lock again through the remote.BUT!!!!! My security light still flashes and the car will not start.This "Flashing Security Light" issue is really kicking my a&%,i have tried everything to get the car to start.From what ive read is that if its flashing the BCM does not recognize the pellat in the key,now the "chip" in my key is kinda loose so could that be the problem?????

Should i go to the dealer and have a new key made,is that a guaranteed fix for my problem???

Quick Reply: Car sat over 1 year,runs like crap..Fuel Pump/Injectors???