Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel injector cleaner issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injector cleaner issue

So I ran some fuel injector cleaner into my car, and immediately after I put it in, the service engine light came on. I took my car to get gas, then to the car wash and parked it for the night. I went to start it the next day and now it sounds like its missing on multiple cylinders, is running completely terrible, and shakes the entire car (almost feels like the motor mounts are broke it shakes so hard). My main question I guess, has anyone else had this problem from putting an injector cleaner in? Or would adding too much at once cause cylinder walls to "get washed down"? Any input or suggestions would be great, otherwise I'm going to try to drain the tank and put new gas in it to see if that helps at all.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Launching!

I would do what you already stated. Completely drain the tank, and refill. I would also change the filter to make sure any gunk in the tank that the cleaner may have loosened up didnt clog it up. And I personally would never use that crap. Injectors will go for a long time without cleaning them. If they get that dirty, I would rather change the injectors than put those bullshit products through my fuel system. Just food for thought. A new set of injectors will pay for themselves many times over. Especially if you're just doing stock replacments and not some crazy expensive ones.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the response, tomorrow i'm going to drain the tank and go from there. i do think i have two injectors that need to get replaced, so I might upgrade them a bit to prepare for future plans. I'll also have a chance to check them all out while i'm in there.

Quick Reply: fuel injector cleaner issue