Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Had an injector o-ring blow out while i was driving..(update 8-3)

Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Had an injector o-ring blow out while i was driving..(update 8-3)

luckily the car did not catch on fire but the it was SOAKING the motor in fuel. Im running siemens 80lb injectors with fast fuel rails. is there any way to prevent this from happening again? im already replacing all the o-rings but im worried its gonna randomly happen again. the car has been fine under boost, it happened under normal driving

Last edited by Ryans99ls1; 08-03-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
luckily the car did not catch on fire but the it was SOAKING the motor in fuel. Im running siemens 80lb injectors with fast fuel rails. is there any way to prevent this from happening again? im already replacing all the o-rings but im worried its gonna randomly happen again. the car has been fine under boost, it happened under normal driving
are you sure you have the right bottom o ring? I ask because there is a 15mm o ring that should be used on the manifold side, the siemens comes stock with a 14mm. are you sure the injector is not too low in the rail as o rings don't just blow out if they are relatively new
Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
are you sure you have the right bottom o ring? I ask because there is a 15mm o ring that should be used on the manifold side, the siemens comes stock with a 14mm. are you sure the injector is not too low in the rail as o rings don't just blow out if they are relatively new
im almost positive the injector is fully seated. i put them in the rail first then pressed them into the manifold, none were uneven. when i first put them on, one came leaky from the factory. replaced it with one from my stockers and it sealed right up. this is not the same injector though

i wouldnt be suprised if the injectors dont have the 15mm oring on the bottom. from what i remember all the orings looked the same (blue). where can i get the proper 15mm ones?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm planning to keep one of these in the truck. It wont damage the engine from corrosive chemicals or thermal shock.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
FormerVendor

im almost positive the injector is fully seated. i put them in the rail first then pressed them into the manifold, none were uneven. when i first put them on, one came leaky from the factory. replaced it with one from my stockers and it sealed right up. this is not the same injector though

i wouldnt be suprised if the injectors dont have the 15mm oring on the bottom. from what i remember all the orings looked the same (blue). where can i get the proper 15mm ones?
Sorry my bad, I thought you had a 102. Ls6 manifold uses 14 top and bottom. I guess you need just o rings
Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
I'm planning to keep one of these in the truck. It wont damage the engine from corrosive chemicals or thermal shock.

http://www.amazon.com/H3R-Performanc...e+extinguisher
hahaha yeah im planning on picking one up after this little scare. im only laughing cus i asked how to keep this from happening again you posted a fire extinguisher.

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
Sorry my bad, I thought you had a 102. Ls6 manifold uses 14 top and bottom. I guess you need just o rings
i hope they do the trick. thanks for the help.

im still open to hear what anyone else has to say!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Sometimes **** happens. You may have slightly pinch it when installing and took a while for it to blow it out. Had it happen to me took 2 weeks before it happend. Just lube the o ring install the injector and probly not happen again.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright so it turns out i did infact have a pinched o-ring. replaced it and it was much better. BUT its still leaking somewhat.

i replaced all of the o-rings on that side and the front 2 injectors feel pretty sturdy once they are in. The rear 2 basically fall out on their own if they are shaken a little bit. i switched the injectors around so i know its not that.

anyone else know a better way to make them seal or how to maybe get more force on the rail?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Check the rail bore sizes.
Look to be sure the rail hold downs aren't flexing.
Look at the bore finish in the rails. When they are drilled, there is a chance the bit could leave a scratch/groove.[Dull drill] I had another brand that had scratches in a couple of the bores. Had to buff them with a cross buff from Powerhouse tools.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Check the rail bore sizes.
Look to be sure the rail hold downs aren't flexing.
Look at the bore finish in the rails. When they are drilled, there is a chance the bit could leave a scratch/groove.[Dull drill] I had another brand that had scratches in a couple of the bores. Had to buff them with a cross buff from Powerhouse tools.
I checked the bore on them, there werent any scratches or anything. Ill have to get the dial calipers out and check the roundness though.

Ill look into the mounts flexing too. thanks!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Did you solve this? Same injector and rails on a 102. It happened to me today. How do I tell if I have the right o rings?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much fuel pressure are you running?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1bad03snake
How much fuel pressure are you running?
58 psi base and boost ref.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charlesready
Did you solve this? Same injector and rails on a 102. It happened to me today. How do I tell if I have the right o rings?
What i actually did is make new fuel rail mounts that reallly pull down the rear portion of the the fuel rail. If you the look at where the mounts bolt to the manifold, the front mount is much closer to the end of the fuel rail, the rear is more towards the center. The rear one being closer to the center obviously doesnt put enough pressure on top of the back injector which makes it very easy to blow one out if the oring is not perfect. I check it all the time now and its been fine since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had an injector o-ring blow out while i was driving..(update 8-3)