Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

OEM Replacement Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Question OEM Replacement Fuel Pump

GM currently has the stock fuel pump assembly on backorder with no ETA, so I’m looking at other OE quality options. This is for a stock application, where longevity and ease of installation (just want to drop it in with no hassles or modifications) are the primary concerns. I don’t need an upgrade in volume/pressure/etc., just something with equal quality and fitment as stock.

Having said that, is there any difference between the Delphi pumps sold by NAPA, etc., and the AC Delco unit sold directly through GM? I’m assuming that Delphi was the original manufacturer for these pumps anyway, and may still be making them for GM.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delphi was the OE manufacturer and still makes the OE replacement part. However, it is not a guarantee that is what you are going to get from AC Delco...
Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming you are talking about the 99-02 Fbody...
The new GM pumps you get from the dealer vary significatly from what came in your car.

I have Delphi replacement pumps for use in your stock bucket or I can provide a new Delphi assembly.

Please call to discuss in more detail.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Racetronix also offers a great replacement pump for your application...

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2361-ra...-assembly.aspx
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would not be hesitant to replace the unit with a racetronix even in a stock application.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Assuming you are talking about the 99-02 Fbody...
The new GM pumps you get from the dealer vary significatly from what came in your car.

I have Delphi replacement pumps for use in your stock bucket or I can provide a new Delphi assembly.

Please call to discuss in more detail.
No, this is for a '98 car. Are these different from the original versions as well?

And for future reference, what makes the new Delco '99+ assemblies so different from the orginal '99+ design? Just wondering in case I end up doing one of these in the future as well.

Originally Posted by Mr. Fuel Pump
Delphi was the OE manufacturer and still makes the OE replacement part. However, it is not a guarantee that is what you are going to get from AC Delco...
This is one of my concerns, as GM seems to have a habit lately of sourcing from just about anywhere. Looks like I'd be better off going directly to the Delphi labeled version.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 09-01-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think the '98 fuel hanger assembly has changed much from the original, but the '99+ changes are basically the 2x2 econn went to the more robust 1x4 (same as all GM's), the external strainer was removed and a jet pump assembly was integrated into the bucket. The reservoir/bucket and flange plastics went to acetyl and look more white compared to the original 'yellowish' PBT plastic
Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't think the '98 fuel hanger assembly has changed much from the original, but the '99+ changes are basically the 2x2 econn went to the more robust 1x4 (same as all GM's), the external strainer was removed and a jet pump assembly was integrated into the bucket. The reservoir/bucket and flange plastics went to acetyl and look more white compared to the original 'yellowish' PBT plastic
What he said....

The upgraded connector is an improvement, but requires modification of your wiring harness.

The pump & bucket more closely resemble the one in pickup trucks. The will not readily accept a Racetronix or aftermarket 255 pump without substantial modifications.

As for the '98, you should stick with the OE if you need an entire fuel module, or for just a pump Racetronix offers a good replacement.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
What he said....

The upgraded connector is an improvement, but requires modification of your wiring harness.

The pump & bucket more closely resemble the one in pickup trucks. The will not readily accept a Racetronix or aftermarket 255 pump without substantial modifications.

As for the '98, you should stick with the OE if you need an entire fuel module, or for just a pump Racetronix offers a good replacement.
Thanks guys, this is good info. So if I'm understanding correctly, a new Delphi/OE module for a '98 should not require any wiring or other modifications?

As for the '99+ stuff though, is there a wiring harness adapter for the new style connector or is the only option to modifiy the existing harness?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

The '98 Delphi aftermarket fuel module is plug and play, the 99+ you need to splice in the 1x4 female econnector onto the existing chassis wire harness, this pigtail/retrofit harness jumper is supplied with the units affected by this change
Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

The '98 Delphi aftermarket fuel module is plug and play, the 99+ you need to splice in the 1x4 female econnector onto the existing chassis wire harness, this pigtail/retrofit harness jumper is supplied with the units affected by this change
That's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: OEM Replacement Fuel Pump