Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Information about stock Gen IV fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Information about stock Gen IV fuel pump

Hello,

I am developing a kit to put LS motors in 1997-2004 Dodge dakotas, durangos and rams. I have pictures of the tank and fuel pump assembly. It seems the original fuel pump assembly for GEN IV trucks is very similar, but I need actual dimensions.

Any information would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Information about stock Gen IV fuel pump-resized-1999-dakota-fuel-retainer.jpg   Information about stock Gen IV fuel pump-resized-1999-dakota-fuel-depth.jpg   Information about stock Gen IV fuel pump-resized-1999-dakota-fuel-pump-assembly.jpg  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest using the stock Dakota fuel pump module and up grade the fuel pump with a Racetronix supplied by one of the vendor who support these forums.
They will supply you with the correct replacement for the application.
From the photos you posed the Dakota fuel pump mounts with the the threaded ring. while the Gen IV pump mounts with a slip ring.
Attached Thumbnails Information about stock Gen IV fuel pump-99-2000-fuel-pump-mod.jpg  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
I would suggest using the stock Dakota fuel pump module and up grade the fuel pump with a Racetronix supplied by one of the vendor who support these forums.
They will supply you with the correct replacement for the application.
From the photos you posed the Dakota fuel pump mounts with the the threaded ring. while the Gen IV pump mounts with a slip ring.
So if I take the fuel assembly apart I can replace the fuel pump with one with higher volume and flow? The current dakota assembly has the regulator 45-50 psi on the top (silver), with the drainback directly into the tank. How would the pressure be regulated to 60 psi?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The fuel pump should be able to be replaced in The module.
Can the fuel pressure regulator be adjusted or remove?
Can you post a better photo of the top of the fuel pump module?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
The fuel pump should be able to be replaced in The module.
Can the fuel pressure regulator be adjusted or remove?
Can you post a better photo of the top of the fuel pump module?
My fuel tank opening is slip fit, 6 inches diameter. The tank is 12 inches deep, and the regulator sits on top with the excess draining back into the tank directly. It is a walbro assembly.

My assembly is actually spring loaded, and adjustable from about 10 inches to 16 or so inches, probably to fit a variety of tanks.

Is yours spring loaded? Also, what is the diameter?

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have built custom pump kits for the Dakota.

A drop in pump setup is not an easy option due to the specific way the pump fills the bucket. Modifying this can lead to starvation.

My guess is that the stock pump will support most normal LS setups without modifications.

Preferrably you should flow test a stock pump so you know exactly what it will support.

Otherwise dropping in a GM sender from a truck is possible, but the level sensor may pose a bit of an issue.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by casias
My fuel tank opening is slip fit, 6 inches diameter. The tank is 12 inches deep, and the regulator sits on top with the excess draining back into the tank directly. It is a walbro assembly.

My assembly is actually spring loaded, and adjustable from about 10 inches to 16 or so inches, probably to fit a variety of tanks.

Is yours spring loaded? Also, what is the diameter?

Thanks for your time.
Yes, the Camaro Fuel module is spring loaded, it is 10 1/4 compresses down to 9 1/4" the diameter is 3 1/4". The module out of a truck is deeper, I have seen them but never actually measured one.
In your photo the fuel pump module is secured in the tank with the white threaded collar, While the 4th gen fuel pump module is secured with a slip ring.

I think I would follow Lonnie's advice, use the stock Dakota fuel pump module and adapt the fuel lines to the LS engine. Keep in mind that some LS engines the fuel pressure regulator is mounted on the fuel rail, some are mounted in line, others the regulator is mounted in the fuel pump module

I would look for a way to eliminate the regulator on the fuel pump module and use an adjustable vacuum referenced regulator mounted on the engine.

Quick Reply: Information about stock Gen IV fuel pump