Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

issues starting. runs fine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default issues starting. runs fine.

I have a 2001 Pontiac trans am minor bolt ons. Lately, I've had an issue starting my car. It cranks when I turn the key...won't start. Crank again and it usually starts on the second or third time. After its started, it runs fine. I had the fuel pump replaced two years ago with a OEM replacement.

My question is:

what could be causing it to not start but then run fine once it does start?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're likely not holding fuel pressure at key off, probably the check valve in the outlet of the fuel pump is leaking. So, when you key on, it takes a little time to build your pressure back up, and then it runs fine. Could be an injector if you smell gas, or leaking somewhere else along the fuel supply path
Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I turn the key on and let it sit for 10 seconds or so it will start. When you push the Schrader valve on the fuel rail nothing comes out if the car sits for a while. My friend checked it out last night and was thinking the same thing you are. Guess its time for a new pump. Lol
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babbage1109
If I turn the key on and let it sit for 10 seconds or so it will start. When you push the Schrader valve on the fuel rail nothing comes out if the car sits for a while. My friend checked it out last night and was thinking the same thing you are. Guess its time for a new pump. Lol
if you didn't get this figured out yet try switching the fan relay with the ignition relay. If that's the culpret get a new relay.

Quick Reply: issues starting. runs fine.