Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

750cc injector help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 750cc injector help needed

Just swapped in some RC Engineering 750cc (71/72lb) injectors in my LS6. I can't get them tuned to save my life. Contacting RC was pretty much a waste of time. I calculated an offset table based on the few numbers they gave me. Also figured out the flow rate. I need help with short pulse limit, short pulse adder, and min injector rate. Using HP tuners. Anyone able/willing to help a fellow hobbyist out?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

when you say you can't get them tuned, what are you having problems with while the car is running?

Did RC not offer any support at all?

cut the stock tables by 30% and see where you get.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Teching In

The only help RC gave me was a a few offset values at a few voltages. I had to use a datafit to calculate the curve of the rest and then create the offset table from that.

Issues I'm having are they are very lean (17:1) when you start the engine. After 30 sec to a min and a half it richens up (same time command afr tries to lean it up from 13.7 to 14.7) Once it richens up like that then if you restart then engine any time withing 15 min or so its fine and idles rich (13.2:1). If the engine sits off for any longer than that when you restart it it goes lean again. To even get it to run this good I had to cut short pulse adder by about 80%. Anything more and its always crazy rich. I currently have min pulse rate at .8ms or so. During idle the injectors are usually around 1.8ms.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

what is your Open loop fueling table look like? can you post your tune?

can you post a few data logs or at least one? post the data you are dealing with. I will try to help best I can.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Open loop eq ratio is set to 1.0 in the temp areas I would see. I should also mention that COT is disabled as is the air pump (also completely unhooked from headers) so those are not throwing off the initial lean situation. You feel it wanting to die when its that lean. Heres the current tune. No available log right now. I know VE is pretty choppy as well but it does the lean issue when it idles (800rpm)
Attached Files
Old 10-28-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

your ifr table at the beginning is a little funny.

based off the 750cc injectors, you have 71.36# injectors

convert that to 58psi (is this the actual fuel pressure you are running?)

and you get 1.1547 * 71.36 = 82.4# base, then apply bernoulli and you will get the table I have attached. I also messed with your open loop EQ ratio. Are you boosted or not now? I see you have the 2 bar map applied.

I smoothed your VE table also. The car will go from open loop to closed loop depending on how long it is off...try to see in the scanner and watch your AFR when it switches. there is a status bit/ indicator for open/closed loop watch it while watching your AFR.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
changes.zip (15.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Teching In

I can't open the zip file for some reason. I thought I had closed loop disabled so it would stay in open loop. Did I miss something and that's not the case? I only planned on keeping it in open loop until I get it tuned decently for now (getting VE tuned for now with these injectors as well as the injector change ironed out) then going back to closed loop. Yes, fuel pressure is 58. Its not currently boosted. I'll be adding some twins this winter, so thats the reason for 2 bar SD tune and larger injectors. I want to get it running decently now before I fab everything up for the turbos and retune. So was the possible issue that to was still in closed loop? I know fuel trims are currently disabled, so that would make sense why those never changed if it was in CL. Like I said, I can't open the zip file for some reason. Any chance you still have your changes in hpt format?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Alright, so I was able to open your changes and apply them. I did not change anything other than what you had changed. Here are 2 logs. The first is from a complete cold start after uploading the changes. You'll see when the wideband is up to temp and starts reading. Right about 4:42 you'll notice is starts getting rich. At this same time, I noticed the fan shut off. Usually when it changes into rich at idle after start, I notice the fan shuts off then as well. In past tunes I have tried setting the cooling fan airflow to 0 lb/min for both but that never changed anything except a very slight drop in voltage. Right at 6 min in I gave it some throttle to see how it reacts.

The second log was once it was warmed up. It was pretty much exactly 1 min after the first one ended, so the engine was only off for 1 min. Again I gave it some light throttle in a little to see any changes. My wideband is located about 48-58" from the heads, so there's some slight slight delay to account for.

Your chances did seem to help quite a bit as far as how lean it is at initial idle, but as you can see, it still goes to rich later. Ideas???

EDIT: Something else I just noticed... When it switches from lean to rich it does so when TPS drops from 9 to 8. Then gets even richer as TPS drops down to 7. Injector pulse width and RPM remain the same as this all happens. I know when driving it if you are below a certain TPS (I thought 12% or so) with this tune and injectors it would go rich just like at idle. Where would cut down on fuel based on TPS? I don't see anything specific to TPS in fueling or idle.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
coldstart1.hpl (112.9 KB, 130 views)
warmstart2.hpl (26.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by yttz; 10-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Teching In

See above post.

Here's a log of starting it 30 min after the last one. Again, same thing seen where its lean. As TPS drops, it gets richer even though it maintains the same RPM and injector pulse width. I'm lost here as to what table would deal with this issue. How to drop the pulse width/fueling based on tps. Or if there's a way to keep the TPS up without raising the RPM. Stuck...
Attached Files
warmstart3.hpl (71.1 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by yttz; 10-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Teching In

In on installing your new injectors,have you made adjustments to all 4 tables you have to adjust, you need to get this wright first prior to doing any tuning.

Quick Reply: 750cc injector help needed