Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Convertible FUel Pump Access Trap Door?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 01:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Convertible FUel Pump Access Trap Door?

Seen a couple of threads that mention the trapdoor
method for access but all of them went dormant
before anybody posted up a success story for doing
this to a 'vert or any pictures of the proper location
and buried features to avoid on this body style.

So has anyone with a 'vert done it, that could give
some info?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did one on a 2000 TA vert. Access hole is in the same spot, it is just a little more difficult to do because of the space limitations over the area.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So did you run across some sort of brace / boss that
people were talking about? Work through the trunk,
or from the back seat? Take any pics along the way?

The voices in my glovebox and my top-end ping want
to know.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Worked through the trunk. The brace that they talk about is the one above the deck area. That is what makes it so hard to make the cut, its in the way. Sorry, took no pics.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here buddy, the damn cross brace that goes above it makes it a biotch to do. my biggest problems was getting the hard lines disconnected. youll need a dremel and some reinforced cutting wheels. Here's what i did:
1. i cut the first hole to located the pump-small hole just to see where i was
2. i then cut out around the pump assembly
3. i then followed the hard lines and cut a hole back to the brace-you own a vert you know what im talking about. its the brace that runs along the front of the shelf directly behind the rear seats..its raised up about an inch. you will need to cut ALL the way back to this brace. Reason being is the disconnect for the hard lines to the flex lines are about 3 to 4 inches UNDERNEATH this crossbrace. this makes it extremely hard to undo.You cannot simply just cut it back to the brace and disconnect the lines. You have to fish them out. This will give you hell trying to pull the pump because unlike the hatchbacks when you pull the pump out of the top, the hard lines will still be hitting this crossbrace therefore it wont come out until you can disconnect these lines and rotate the pump assembly. This helped me out: I went underneath the car and disconnected the fuel lines so i could pull some slack out then i could have some room to work with.
4. after i got all that undone i just CAREFULLY worked the pump out.
5. Upon reasembly i did the following: as a side note this is where people are going to rip me a new one: I cut the stock hard lines; not the short ones but the long ones that would have resided under the brace that were such a biotch to get out. I cut those and bought some high pressure hose like 100 psi racing line and isntalled that instead so now i have all flex line and is MUCH easier to get out then trying to jimmy the hard lines out from underneath that brace. I also cut all four pump wires and put a custom harness in so i can easily undo it right at the pump.
6.works great just remember to cut enough the first time because after you break the tank seal its no more dremel and hello metal shears.
7. i just realized i typed this whole **** and you dont even have a 98 Yours will probably be easier becasue i think you pump is farther back than mine was..i posted anyways in case someones doing one on a 98. word to the wise..if you own a 98 buy the racetronix ..i didn't. i should have.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm glad I didnt have to do a 98. The 99+ plastic tanks are MUCH easier due to the forward location of the fuel module and lines.

jimmyblue - Where are you in FL? I'm in Jax and wouldnt mind driving down to assist if need be. I'd drive anywhere for gas money and a free lunch!! LOL!!
Old 05-22-2004, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

No Pics?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have been trying to figure this out for a while and this thread seems to be best I've found yet regarding the issue (And yes I've posted in newer threads to no avail).

Is it possible to remove the fuel pump bucket assembly via a trap door without hitting the top trunk area? You vert guys know what I'm talking about. With the 98 there is no bucket so the fuel pump assembly has some flexibility to work with but the buckets are solid and unforgiving.

Has anyone done this? Please post pics if you can, thank you.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you can on a 02. I haven't tried on a 98. But the 98's don't have the big bucket so it should be easier.

Quick Reply: Convertible FUel Pump Access Trap Door?