Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Return or no return?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Return or no return?

I think this is where I need to ask this question.

I am installing a 5.3 from a 2004 Tahoe into a 55 Chevy truck. Had a tank made and installed a pump from a 2000 Firebird inside. I was told this pump has an internal regulator that maintains the fuel pressure so I was going to run a line from the pump thru a filter to the engine. I would branch off this line before the filter and reroute it back to the fuel pump return connection.

I just discovered my 5.3 is a flex-fuel motor with a 5/16" return at the fuel rail. I think there is a fuel regulator at the fuel rail that maintains the fuel pressure. My question is can I block off the return at the fuel rail and do what I was planning to do at the pump? Would not have any return from the engine.

I hope this makes sense. I thought I had it figured out, but....Thanks for the help.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Several ways to do it

If you're sure the firebird tank was from a LS1 car, you can swap the truck fuel rail for a returnless style or gut the regulator mounted on the tank

If the tank was from a V6 car it wont have a regulator on the tank as they used a return system. Use the truck rail regulator
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, the pump is from an LS1, I have the motor setting in my shop.

Do I have to replace the fuel rail? Can't I use a Russell adapter fitting on the return at the rail and install a cap on the end of that fitting? Wouldn't this remove the return system from the motor and act like a returnless system, or wouldn't it work that way?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think you have to replace the fuel rails, they should work and be able to be modified to work as return rails
Old 12-02-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Pump doesnt matter, the tank is specific

Yes, you can block off the return line and use the existing rail as returnless, but the cost of fittings to do so are more than a replacement truck rail setup the way you want it. Truck stuff is throw away cheap
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Did not know that. The fitting is only like $15 from Summit. Looked on area Craigslist. Where would you suggest I find a fuel rail that would work?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

craigslist or this classified forum. If you're feeling lazy, post a wanted ad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Return or no return?