Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

redneck injector test

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redneck injector test

wondering if I unbolt fuel rails off my fast 102 and leave injectors in the rails, will i be able to tell if my injectors are stuck. seems messy and a little reckless, but i still have all my fingers and toes and a good ability to not start my project on fire. but im out of ideas on how my crank case became filled with gas on a practically brand new ls2 440. and my noid light showed good pulse. however, if my injector became stuck from sitting a year without running the noid would only show that the pcm is grounding propertly, not if injector is stuck. I wanna see if I have an injector issue before i tear down for a head gasket as I also had fuel in my radiator and a blast of bubbles out the coolant. maybe im panicking as i have put zero miles on this beast and dont have the cash anymore to fork out 15-20k for a new motor. looking for a little insight. im stumped. thank you.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a cylinder misfiring and suspect a bad injector, swap it with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows the injector
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Or you can use a stethoscope (or a screwdriver to your ear) and listen for the injector clicking, if it doesn't click, it's dead.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Or you can use a stethoscope (or a screwdriver to your ear) and listen for the injector clicking, if it doesn't click, it's dead.
It could be clicking but not flowing, or not flowing enough.

If a cylinder is missing I'll start with swapping ignition parts to see if the miss follows any of them, if not I'll either swap injectors or check compression next, which ever is easier.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"from sitting a year "

A good possibility. I clean injs for a local j/y. Their engines sit for long periods, and many are stuck.
How about this scenario:
Stuck inj [s], you crank the engine, hydrolock a cyl, push the h/g out into the water jacket, gas is forced into the rad, gas runs thru the rings, into the oil pan.

Pull the injs, send them to a cleaning facility, B4 U jack the crank thru the pan. Change the h/g.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3500lt
but im out of ideas on how my crank case became filled with gas..... I also had fuel in my radiator and a blast of bubbles out the coolant.
Looking at the ENTIRE problem as you described.... unfortunately you have either a bad head gasket or the wrong head gasket.

The coolant system is a sealed system and completely seperate from the oil or gas. The ONLY way to introduce fuel or oil into the cooling system is by a seal failure (head gasket....etc)

Now thats NOT to say your injectors are GOOD! cause you still flooded the motor with fuel and about the only way an injected engine is going to get fuel in the oil pan is an injector stuck open. (your fuel pressure should show this as it would obviously BLEED off and show -0- residual psi)

Quick Reply: redneck injector test