Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

hot wire kit??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot wire kit??

do all high horsepower ls cars require the hot wire kit to the fuel pump?? or is it a certain year like the 98??
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

not so much needed as recommended for all aftermarket fuel pump setups. Its not just year specific as it is a power consumption issue. As you are probably well aware is that the f-body has a strange power draw at times and at idle at red lights you can ocassionally see the power fluxuation due to an under power alt. a 120amp truck alt can fix this by the way. fits right in there.

The hotwire takes current draw off the cars harness and places it on the dedicaded hotwire so the fuel pump dosnt lose power and thus you lose power. the new pump has a higher power draw and the higher your HP numbers go, the more fuel you need, the more the pump works and draws electical power.

If you are a mildly modded f-body with nothing more then a lid and muffler, you dont need it. if you plan on more mods and more power, its highly encouraged. IF you go dual pumps then yes, you must lol the stock harness cant handle two 255s screaming for fuel lol

if your worried about install, dont be, its super easy. you dont even have to splice wires. its totally plug and play. The hardest part is making sure you unpin and repin the right pins in the existing fuel harness plug. thats it. then just run the wire up the length of the car and find a good secure mounting location and bolt it to the alternator. that simple.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

heres a link to what i did if it helps some
https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...trap-door.html
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

yes it helps thanks, im looking for plug and play

however im doing the dual 255's and was wondering about 1 kit to do both. my car wont be running the streets so heating up would not be an issue. just dont know if i will melt the wires and or not get the right voltage to both. im going to be on a 200 shot also.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

if you want a straight up plug and play drop in dual pump setup, I here and have seen that Lonneys dual pump sestup is really hard to beat. it about double the amount of a racetrnoix single setup with wiring harness, but you are getting duals so its about right on the price. I hear its really good. when im ready to fuel that much power im gonna go that route as well.
IF you are supper fuel system savy, you could try and wire it up yourself. its not THAT hard but its intensive and you defintiyl need to pay attention to detail on this one.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

yeah i heard about that one, im just going on the cheap. already had a 255 and decided to buy another to make my setup. but need to buy a kit for hotwire. and im not an electrical guru so would rather have one made
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

well you could purchase just the hotwire by itself, that way its all there for you. al you have to do is splice it into a switched power supply and ground source. its not a complete drop in, but its not as hard as it seems. Racetronics sells just the wiring harness for like $40 by itsself. not too bad.

Quick Reply: hot wire kit??