Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pressure too high w/ twin walbros - Will this change work??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pressure too high w/ twin walbros - Will this change work??

Currently, I am running a factory plastic LS1 F-body tank and pump assembly thats been modified to house twin walbros. The pumps "Y" together in the tank and feed into a single -8 line up to the factory rail. I have a "T" in the line just after the tank for the return that goes through the factory in-tank regulator.

With this setup, I see around 70 PSI at the rail which is a bit high. My plan was to drop the tank, remove the factory regulator completely so that the -8 return line was dumping freely into the tank, and then installing a returnless style aftermarket adjustable regulator up by the rail in the engine bay. I figure this should have adequate return flow to keep it down to 60 PSI.

Just curious if anybody sees any issues with this setup?? Basically, I have all aluminum line and I am really trying not to hack it all up to run a return line style system. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The returnless works well for me. Granted I am only running a single pump. My regulator is right by the rear axle.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exidous
The returnless works well for me. Granted I am only running a single pump. My regulator is right by the rear axle.
Interesting...I didn't even think to mount a regulator at the back of the car. Hell, if I did mount it back there, I could even do a return style regulator without chopping up my lines too bad...decisions, decisions. I'm curious to hear some opinions from others on this.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The corvettes run the FPR in the back for years. I cannot remember any pros or cons to either setup off the top of my head except for the lack of extra lines.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racetronix
This is the hotwire kit required for running anything larger than our FPA-001/A 255LPH fuel pump assembly. This includes the AM340 LPH and Racetronix RXP340 series pumps:
http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...=FPWK-017W&eq=

Please note, none of these pumps will support the jet-pump functionality of the factory module. This is explained in our FPA-001 ad here:
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...A-001A&eq=&Tp=

Holes will have to be cut into the module to allow fuel to enter. Once this is done adequate fuel will have to be in the tank at all times to prevent fuel starvation under cornering and acceleration. There is no baffling in the 99-02 plastic tanks.

The factory return system and regulator can NOT handle the fuel volume of our 340LPH pumps. Even with our standard 255LPH systems there is a pressure rise of apx. 4-6PSI above the factory regulator's setting of 58PSI. Installing a 340LPH pump will push this upwards of 70PSI which will cause tuning problems and pre-mature pump failure.

WE WILL NOT WARRANTY ANY PUMP THAT FAILS DUE TO INADEQUATE WIRING / VOLTAGE SUPPLY OR EXCESSIVE OPERATING PRESSURES.
this should answer your question. to much volume for the factory regulator so thats why your seeing 70psi.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure too high w/ twin walbros - Will this change work??