Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Necessary to drop rear end to change fuel pump on '02 WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Necessary to drop rear end to change fuel pump on '02 WS6?

I'll be doing this one in the parking lot up here at school and am starting to prepare for it as the rest of my parts will be here Wednesday. I have done a lot of searching and have seen varying reports as to whether it is necessary to remove rear shocks/panhard bars/drop axle? Luckily I have a dumped exhaust before the rear axle so hopefully I won't need to touch the exhaust? The tank is full and I was unable to get any gas to suck out using the $6 Harbor Freight transfer pump but luckily I do have a Harbor Freight low lift transmission jack ($66 with a 20% off coupon). As far as lifts go I only have a Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack (small one) and the aluminum jack stands up here at school so hopefully I can do this as the stands only go up to 14" or so. Of course this didn't happen last week when I had a near empty tank and I was at my parents in southern California with full equipment/tools but oh well. What do you guys think...how much of the rear suspension should I plan on removing to get this full plastic tank out?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the exhaust out of the way, you only have to remove the panhard rod & brace.

Just lower the rear as far as it goes.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Launching!

I only have my aluminum racing jack stands here at school (Harbor Freight ones) and they max out at around 15 inches. Do you think that will be high enough to lower the rear enough. If not I'll have to go buy some larger ones. So I will remove the panhard brace and the bar. I take it I only need to remove the panhard bar from the upper end or take the whole bar out?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

i did the"trap door" was quite easy
Johnny
Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
i did the"trap door" was quite easy
Johnny
Have heard all about it, watched the videos, keeping it as a backup, but for now the plan is to raise the car, let the rear end hang down, remove the panhard bar brace, panhard bar, and drop this tank out for a good cleaning and a brand new fuel module with upgraded racetronix fuel system. This will be done in a parking lot with hand tools and a small racing jack/jack stands. Should be one of the hottest summer weekends we get here in the Bay Area (89+). Its going to be a good time.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IF THE TANK IS FULL OF FUEL DON'T TRY TO REMOVE IT.
With a full tank of fuel the tank weights around 600 lbs.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
IF THE TANK IS FULL OF FUEL DON'T TRY TO REMOVE IT.
With a full tank of fuel the tank weights around 600 lbs.
As gasoline weighs less than 7lbs a gallon with 16 gallons of fuel plus the tank I should be looking at less than 150lbs. I have dropped full 20 gallon tanks before with a floor jack and a buddy so with a transmission jack and an extra set of hands I'm not worried about that I'm more worried about actually getting it out past whatever rear end parts need to be removed.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're doing it the hard way, trap door is by far easier and works like a champ. Changed a few pumps this way, just follow the walk thru on here..piece of cake. Will get it done in about half the time.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Trap door is easiest way and is not hard to do many have done it with no issues.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:48 AM
Launching!

ust did it today. Dropping the tank was a piece of cake with the 450lb capacity low lift transmission jack from harbor freight. You turn the jack with a 1/2 ratchet so it moves very slowly and very controllable. Scissor style not a hydraulic. 66 with the coupon and 7 dollars shipped. Only removed heat shield, Panhard brace and Panhard bar. One aluminum racing jack, two jack stands, and hand tools in a parking lot. Tank was full and two different siphons did not work so I emptied and cleaned the inside after it was down.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you got it done, but why do you have 2 full threads on the same thing??
Old 06-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Launching!

I first posted in the incorrect section so I moved it and asked for the first to be deleted but then people kept posting on both and the info and tips given by the other guys have been useful so I guess both have been left up, maybe a mod can merge them into the thread i have in the correct fueling section?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have done a few without cutting the car. Last one was about a hour and 15 or 20 minutes. But I was lucky to have access to a lift to do the work. It is no big deal. Never could figure out why people want to cut up their cars. If we were all the same it would be a dull world.

Quick Reply: Necessary to drop rear end to change fuel pump on '02 WS6?