Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Aeromotive 340 pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Aeromotive 340 pump issues

Aeromotive 340. Complete AN6 return style fuel system with an aeromotive regulator. Has a 12ga relay feeding power to it

System stays around 45-50psi and wont go any higher. Regulator has smooth pressure adjustment below that level and just hits a wall and wont pump any higher

I checked voltage at the tank while running the engine(13.8v), so thats fine
I removed the filter element from the filter, so its a strait tube to rule that out, no change
Removed the engine feed and plugged it at the regulator, so the pump ONLY pressurizes the regulator and returns to the tank. Same pressure

Sounds like a bad pump, but Ive never heard of a dying pump only putting out X psi. Always was a works fine or doesnt work at all situtation

Pump has maybe 500 miles on it and I have a sneaky feeling it caused the last engines failure with these pressure drops

Anyone else have a short lived 340 pump? What killed it?

Last edited by Pocket; 08-07-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 08-03-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Turns out the pump was fine. The hose sent with the 11142 kit was standard hose, not submersible, so it rotted away. Not sure who packages the kits, summit or Aeromotive, but thats a pretty big oops on their part

Regardless, its working fine... for now

Anyone else who buys a kit might want to look into the hose before blindly putting it in. Common hose is rated 30R9 and is teflon coated only on the inside, so being submerged will eat the outside away. Submersible hose is SAE 30R10, which is coated inside and out. Autozone and Advance wont have it either

Most braided lines are 30R9 too, the SS braid is to protect against mechanical damage ie chaffing and offers no protection against corrosive fluids
Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the correct type tube to use inside the tank.
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

For 4th gens, sure

With a 3rd gen, the steel line is right next to the pump outlet, so good luck cramming one of those in there. 3" of proper submersible hose is the right part for the job

The main irritation is that the hose that failed was the hose supplied in the kit from Aeromotive. There is NO excuse that the wrong hose be included in with the pump kit. Had I just bought a pump and sourced the wrong hose myself, then I can take fault, but not this time

Also, Ive found these pumps are way overrated. Good to 700ish RWHP with FI, 900ish NA, I read on here. Im out of pump at 575rwhp. Wish Id done the twin 255's like Id planned from the start

Quick Reply: Aeromotive 340 pump issues