Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Can someone school me on AN fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can someone school me on AN fittings?

I bought a used nitrous system from a guy and I'm going to change some things as far as the way its plumbed. I've never worked with AN fittings so I want to make sure I get all the connections right.

Is there any difference in the red and blue fittings besides the color?

Do I need to use liquid teflon when I connect fittings and lines?

Any other relevant information will be appreciated!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

No difference, pick a brand and stay with it. Some brand don't work well with others. Also nothing should be used on the fittings as far as trying to seal them, so no Teflon paste. I however, use a dab of Loctite on the center thread on my fuel lines, justa personal preference.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
No difference, pick a brand and stay with it. Some brand don't work well with others. Also nothing should be used on the fittings as far as trying to seal them, so no Teflon paste. I however, use a dab of Loctite on the center thread on my fuel lines, justa personal preference.
Yeah I forgot, Teflon paste for NPT but not AN. Can AN fitting be disconnected and reconnected over time without having to worry about them developing a leak?

Last edited by Wicked 94TA; 08-28-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wicked 94TA
Yeah I forgot, Teflon paste for NPT but not AN. Can AN fitting be disconnected and reconnected over time without having to worry about them developing a leak?
Yes, AN fittings can be disconnected and re connected over time, without having to worry about leaking. The fittings and hose can also be re used.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

technically, the red and blue fittings are for telling you which side to loosen/tighten.

AN - ARMY/NAVY fittings, so military guys wouldn't get confused (and before someone goes off halfcocked, I served 20 yrs so I'm not calling them stupid) when working long hours your mind play tricks. so red do not loosen, blue you can take off and on.

why red and blue? ask the engineer. that I don't know. lol
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

On my kit it looks like they used the red and blue to color code nitrous and fuel. The red fittings had to be disconnected to remove the kit from the car. Is that going to cause a problem?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

what did you replace it with? did it leave a hose that was open?

this is an example of red/blue fittings.. red seals the hose to the fitting and you don't want to turn it after that, unless you are removing the hose to reuse the fitting. the blue side is for repeated use of taking the hose off and on the connection.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

I figured it out, they did do red and blue for the fuel and nitrous. The fittings are only a blue with red behind it in are only few places. The places I need to disconnect to convert back from 2 nozzles to back to 1 I'm good to go.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Teching In

The key difference between AN and SAE fittings is the flare angle. SAE use a 45 degree flare while AN fittings use a 37 degree flare.

Bottom line is you shouldnt mix the two types of flares. I know there are plenty who say you can and justify it with the old "it's worked for me for 86 years" line but no matter what it's a bad idea.

The rest of hte advice you've gotten seems good. There no need to put anything on the threads in this type of fitting since the flares do all the work and the threads dont do any of the sealing.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to go the the race shop in my area tomorrow to get other things I need to finish putting my kit on. Yall have been a lot of help getting me pointed in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Can someone school me on AN fittings?