Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Using '02 pump with '98 sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using '02 pump with '98 sending unit

I originally thought my o2 sensors had kicked the bucket after running open headers for a couple weeks (hadn't much choice), but I've worked with them and unplugged them to run the car in open loop to no avail. The car will crank, then die shortly after. Originally I thought the bad o2s were dumping fuel and trying to start it over and over without it actually running had flooded it. I used WOT while cranking to clear a potential flood, but this didn't help.

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge or a way to read to codes at this time. It's stuck at work and has been for awhile.

I now think it has been the pump all along. It moans and chatters when you turn the key to prime it, but it doesn't buzz like it used to, For years it would whine after long trips and the day before I had it on a 200 mile road trip. It didn't run bad before completely killing over, which seems like something a bad pump would do. It'll prime the line enough to crank the car and let it idle a few seconds, but not enough to maintain running.

So.. I don't have any money at the moment, but I do have an extra, low mile '02 fuel pump laying around. This leads to my two main questions.

Can I run a power wire to this pump to test if it still works without it being in the car? I've done it with an HVAC fan before on an old car so figure it would work the same with this one.

If it's good, can I use the pump in my '98 sending unit? Are the hook ups different or will it be missing anything? I haven't been able to find images of just the pumps themselves without the entire sending units.

I appreciate anything you guys can clue me in on.

Quick Reply: Using '02 pump with '98 sending unit