Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E85 and preferred fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 and preferred fuel lines

does this work effectively? I requested PTFE recently and my installer installed this. Before I throw a fit, will this hold up to E85?

http://fragolaperformancesystems.com...lon-race-hose/
Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not long term.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed...it'll work for the time being, but PTFE line should have been used. I think people don't use it because they:

A. Don't know what ethanol does to rubber lined hoses
B. Don't believe that ethanol has any affect on rubber lined hoses
C. Have the rubber lined stuff laying around, and don't want to spring for new stuff since the hose ends are not the same for rubber vs. PTFE

I did the lines on my old Camaro rubber lined first...after a couple of years, the fumes got really bad (and that was only E10 standard pump gas), so I had to replace them with PTFE, and that wasn't cheap. It really wasn't cheap since I basically did the same job twice, although PTFE wasn't available when I first did the lines.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Doesn't it say alcohol compatible...???

Premium Black Nylon Race Hose

Recommended for Motorsports applications, the black synthetic rubber core is resistant to oil, fuels, coolants, and alcohols.
◦500 PSI working pressure covers most oil, water, and fuel systems you may encounter.
◦Reinforced with a single braid of bright corrosion resistant type 302 stainless steel wire braid.
◦Operating range of -40° F to +300° F.
◦Black Braided Nylon Cover makes this lightweight hose both durable and attractive.
◦Designed to be used with FPS Series 2000 Hose Ends, (pg. 3) and FPS Sport-Crimp Hose Ends (pg. 15)
◦This hose is not intended to be used with 3000 Series Hose Ends.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The key word in that statement is "resistant".
Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

The synthetic rubber hoses should be fine for E85, I've been using the same for over 7 years now on my Camaro with no problems what so ever. I use the synthetic rubber AQP which should be similar to that but you would want to talk to the manufacturer directly to be sure. I used the PTFE stuff on my GTO when I did that fuel system and what an amazing pain in the *** is it to work with. It's the regular rubber hose that causes problems with alcohol based fuels.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a list of material that my buddy worked on testing as a project for the US gov;
http://iqlearningsystems.com/ethanol...patibility.pdf

As said above Synthetic Rubber Hoses seem to work fine, havent heard any issues with people using them but everyone I know using them does not allow E85 to sit in the fuel system for a prolonged period of time. Natural Rubber lines are degraded by E85 over time and can cause some serious issues. PTFE is the ideal material to use but it is a major pain in the *** and about 30-40% more expensive than Synthetic Lines.

Last edited by 2muchboostNY; 10-23-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: E85 and preferred fuel lines