Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Building a fuel system for 800+ hp need help with the return regulator

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Building a fuel system for 800+ hp need help with the return regulator

Doing a 370ci F1-A build and I am working out on how to do my fuel system.

Right now I am planning on running the DYI Walbro 255lp pumps with an -8an feed line to a single rail then a crossover then return. Off the return rail I am going to run an inline fuel pressure regulator but I am having a hard time finding an recommendation on what to run. Could I run a -6an inlet or should my inlet stay -8an and just run -8an all the way back to the tank? Also which regulators have people been running at the power levels I want to make?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I ran -8 all the way to the back of the block. Then split with a Y block. -6 lines go from the Y block to the back of each fuel rail. And then -6 lines go from the front of the fuel rails to the 2 inlets of the fuel pressure regulator. I use a single -6 return line to the tank.

I'm only making a little over 600hp, but this set up maintains pressure volume all the way to 7,000 rpm.

I'm using this regulator: http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...***-regulator/
Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running -8 from a y block to each rail, then -8 from the other end of each rail to the same regulator http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...***-regulator/, then from there I run a -6 to a 5/16 hard line back to the tank.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"run a -6 to a 5/16 hard line back to the tank."
Any issues w/ being able to control Fp at low rpm??
Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

I was kind of looking for a 2 port regulator to aviod the whole Y block setup. I do not think it is necessary for the power I want to be making.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Then run the -8 line directly into the back of one fuel rail, across to other fuel rail, and then back out to the pressure regulator. You can use the same (or any) dual port regulator, just plug the other port. IIRC, the Aeromotive regulator uses NPT fittings.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah thats what I was planning on doing. I wasnt sure if there were any brands I should steer clear from and I have had a hard time finding boost referenced 2 port style.

This is a crude diagram of how I envisioned my fuel setup

Old 02-18-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by M33P
Yeah thats what I was planning on doing. I wasnt sure if there were any brands I should steer clear from and I have had a hard time finding boost referenced 2 port style.

Looks good except I would feed the top of the driver rail, crossover in the rear and mount the FPR directly to the front of the passenger rail.

It's gonna be difficult adjusting or even mounting the FPR at the rear of the rails because its under the cowl, plus the passenger side has less clearance than the driver side..
Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

I was going to run a line down and mount it in line not off the rail so I have more room. Figure 1.1 in this pdf is an option as well but then the flow stops at the end of the passenger rail. Is it ok to do that?

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/...3101-09-14.pdf
Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Burken01
Looks good except I would feed the top of the driver rail, crossover in the rear and mount the FPR directly to the front of the passenger rail.

It's gonna be difficult adjusting or even mounting the FPR at the rear of the rails because its under the cowl, plus the passenger side has less clearance than the driver side..
That's a good point. I don't own an F-body, so I forget hw far under the would that would be.

I don't like mounting that kind of stuff on the engine if I don't have to. I don't like to subject them to that much vibration. I don't even have my oil pressure sensor mounted on the engine.

But I road race hard and often. And that can really put a strain on things. So it gives me a slightly tilted view of things.

I was going to run a line down and mount it in line not off the rail so I have more room. Figure 1.1 in this pdf is an option as well but then the flow stops at the end of the passenger rail. Is it ok to do that?

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/...3101-09-14.pdf
It's OK to dead head the fuel rail like that. It's not ideal, but you can do it.

In theory, you can mount the pressure regulator anywhere you want to, even on top of the fuel tank. I don't know why you would, but you could. For best performance, it should be as close to the fuel rail as possible.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
"run a -6 to a 5/16 hard line back to the tank."
Any issues w/ being able to control Fp at low rpm??
5/16" Hardline is enough to support about 1000 HP. If you're running dual pumps, putting one on a hobbs switch will make 5/16" more than enough for a return line.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the correct way to do it. -8 feed and -6 return a minimum anything smaller becomes a restriction after 600whp larger help keep things cool and keep pressures in check. I rec the Magnafuel regulator reliable and completely stable. Have had serious pressure issues with other regulators. 800hp is no joke do not want fuel issues. Do it right the first time and you will have room to grow. Feel free to call with any questions we are here to help.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

I have been looking at the magnafuel MP-9925-B boost referenced regulator. Would I just run a block off fitting on the second inlet? Would running an -8an return effect anything in means of being too big?

Last edited by M33P; 02-24-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Building a fuel system for 800+ hp need help with the return regulator