Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel Pump Questions

Ok guys here is my delima, I am trying to finish up my engine build and het it installed. I have built a 6.0 and will be running TFS 235 heads with about 11:1 CR. Fast 102 with a 102 TB and a 100mm MAF and 60# injectors. I am hoping to be a little over 500hp. What size fuel pump and system to I need to be looking at to allow me to have the proper fuel pressure and flow? I have been looking at the Racetronix 135-RFPK-001 and adding the upgraded battery ground and booster and pump booster controller kit.
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-2358-r...ic-system.aspx

I am currently not running type of power adder. I may in the future though.
Is this system adequate or do I need to be looking at something else totally. Also I have heard the with some aftermarket fuel pumps the fuel bucket need to be modified. Will this require any modification?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Racetronix is a direct replacement requiring no modification to the bucket.
Fuel Pump Assembly FPA-001A Good to 600 HP.
Scroll to bottom of page.
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Last edited by Ollie8974; 03-09-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...ump-chart.html
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im also trying to figure this out.

From those links it says to take 60lb * .80 (duty)=46/.5=96HP * 8 injectors gets you HP good to 768 with 60lb injectors?

Can anyone confirm I'm doing this right and would 42Lb injectors work just fine for a 500HP motor as he said? 42*.80=33.6/.5=67.2*8=537.6 HP?

No clue on fuel pump as Im also looking for answers for something like your build. Why did you go with 60# injectors?

Last edited by NuckenFuts; 03-09-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is nothing wrong with going over 80% IDC. I've seen stock vehicles exceed that number. I've hit 98-100% IDC in my cam/head 2001 ZO6 for years without any issues. Now I have 36 lb/hr Fast injectors (41 lbs/hr @58psi) in my 418 stroker that hits 85% IDC. And my stock fuel pump maintains 56 psi @7000 rpm at WOT.

The 80% IDC rule is published by injector suppliers to sell more injectors to people that don't need larger injectors. You don't make more power with larger injectors if your IDC is <100%.

Russ Kemp
Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
The Racetronix is a direct replacement requiring no modification to the bucket.
Fuel Pump Assembly FPA-001A Good to 600 HP.
Scroll to bottom of page.
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Ollie8974 Man thanks for the info, one of concern's was that I didn't want to have to modify my factory fuel bucket. What fuel pump are you running?

Originally Posted by NuckenFuts
Im also trying to figure this out.

From those links it says to take 60lb * .80 (duty)=46/.5=96HP * 8 injectors gets you HP good to 768 with 60lb injectors?

Can anyone confirm I'm doing this right and would 42Lb injectors work just fine for a 500HP motor as he said? 42*.80=33.6/.5=67.2*8=537.6 HP?

No clue on fuel pump as Im also looking for answers for something like your build. Why did you go with 60# injectors?
The reason that I am going with the 60lb injectors is because I have a good friend that has a pratically new set ( less than 2 weeks old ) that he installed then removed from a customers car that decided to go back to stock and trade his car in on a new one. One of those cant pass up deals if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Russ K
There is nothing wrong with going over 80% IDC. I've seen stock vehicles exceed that number. I've hit 98-100% IDC in my cam/head 2001 ZO6 for years without any issues. Now I have 36 lb/hr Fast injectors (41 lbs/hr @58psi) in my 418 stroker that hits 85% IDC. And my stock fuel pump maintains 56 psi @7000 rpm at WOT.

The 80% IDC rule is published by injector suppliers to sell more injectors to people that don't need larger injectors. You don't make more power with larger injectors if your IDC is <100%.

Russ Kemp
Russ K thanks for your input, but as far as fuel requirements and injector stuff I am lost. Thats why I posted up? Sounds as if you are more schooled in it than I am. What are your thoughts on the fuel pump that I have selected?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Before spending money on a fuel pump you might not need, plus the effort to drop the tank to swap the pump, I would tape a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield. Then go WOT til redline, if the pressure drops below~55 psi, you need a higher output pump. Make sure to replace the fuel filter first.

That Racetronix pump kit is more than enough, and is probably not needed for your power level. I still have the OEM pump in my ZO6.

Russ Kemp
Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Before spending money on a fuel pump you might not need, plus the effort to drop the tank to swap the pump, I would tape a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield. Then go WOT til redline, if the pressure drops below~55 psi, you need a higher output pump. Make sure to replace the fuel filter first.

That Racetronix pump kit is more than enough, and is probably not needed for your power level. I still have the OEM pump in my ZO6.

Russ Kemp
Russ, thanks for your insight. However I am not at liberty to test my factory pump as I dont have the new motor in yet. I was wanting to install the new pump while I am installing the new engine as well. Ive talked to a few different people and they say that the factory fuel pump is iffy considering my power goals. And in the future if I do install NOS it will not be enough.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

As an FYI, the Vette fuel pump flows more than an F-body pump so your comparison may not be valid.

Normally the f-body pumps get to about 450rwhp, give or take a little.
When you get around this level, I recommend the Racetronix kit.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russ Kemp
I do not believe the "published" part, however, that may be true, but I will tell you this:

if you have a dirty injector / old injector and you stay in the 95~100% duty cycle range you are risking losing an engine. I have witnessed this twice so far. We have done all the troubleshooting down to every component, and we go back and look at the data log and see 100%+ duty cycle and check everything, and it came down to the injectors.

Why risk killing an engine with a not so expensive upgrade? I just don't get it. Either upgrade or make damn sure your fueling system has new filters & injectors are clean.

a single 255 pump will net you enough fuel supply for 8 x 51# injectors, if your engine requires more fuel than this, you will start noticing a drop in fuel pressure with those 60# injectors.

On a Naturally aspirated engine 675HP will require SMALLER injectors than a boosted application. That is why the 42# seems to be the number you come up with.

If you go boosted, those injectors (60#) will carry you depending on how much boost you run & power you make. Those injectors are likely rated 60# @ 43.5psi which at our 58psi rail pressure are actually 69# injectors.

boost a pump...don't bother. Seen many failures/issues with these over time.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Questions