Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump Relay/Wiring Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Pump Relay/Wiring Issue...

I have a 99 HOZ. About 6 months ago I started to get this one problem. I was driving the car for a while and the car just shut off. I tried starting, and it would crank fine, but not start. After a few minutes it would start then die again about 1-2 minutes into driving. I found that the fuel pump relay was getting hot, so I swapped it and it solved the issue for a week or 2. I replaced that one as well, worked again for a few weeks. I ended up throwing in a walbro 255 since I had one laying around, went a few weeks with no issues and then it happened again. I test the relays, they are all good, about 80ohms across the coil. I did a socket test and it checks out good too. I thought the problem was due to maybe resistance/heat, until last week my wife got off work, (car was not run for at least 8 hours) and the car wouldn't start. She replaced the relay and it worked fine. The next morning, (car was not run for at least 12 hours) it happened to me. so the relay was not hot. I swapped it and again it worked. I haven't had an issue with it in a few days, but im stumped. I really want to get this figured out because it will just stop on me in the middle of traffic, then I have to take the hood off(bolt on) swap relays and get back in and go. its annoying. Has anyone had any issues with this? or recommend further testing I need to do? please help!!!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump. please anyone
Old 03-29-2014, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the heat in the relay is probably caused by a temporary lack of resistance - or a short somewhere. You may be able to get around it by installing a racetronix live wire relay harness, but depends on where the short it in the harness. If you do try that harness, they position the relay under drivers rear fender - mount it temporary first and try for a while, it will be difficult to replace that relay in an emergency situation - I told Racetronix this but they want it mounted there anyway. I did mount the fuse up near relay box under hood, they said mount it down by alternator - they obviously haven't worked on a lowered car in a bad spot.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Relay/Wiring Issue...