Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

no fuel pump prime or OBDII, found my problem

Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no fuel pump prime or OBDII, found my problem

My car wouldn't start, I noticed the fuel pump wasn't priming when I turned the key. Tried to read any OBDII error codes but the code reader got 'no signal' from the port. Tank had lots of gas but the gauge read empty. Fuses were all OK. Tried to verify all grounds, didn't find any problems.

I read some very helpful posts on checking the fuel pump relay inputs with a meter. I wasn't getting the ECM signal when they key turned on. I took the fuse/relay box out planning to follow the wires back.

Found my problem(s) where the wires enter the box from the bottom. Four were rubbing against the edge of the box and wore through. There is a protective wrap around the wires but the wires were exposed right where they entered the box on the bottom.

I've never had this apart but I did go into the loom not far from there to get at the alternator energizer wire, this was a few years back. My guess is when I was in there I ended up pulling the cover back a bit by mistake and caused the problem.

Figured I would post in case anyone else sees some odd electrical problems. Here are the pics:

Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good find msslsguy. I hate electrical gremlins.
Is the green wire burned through.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
Good find msslsguy. I hate electrical gremlins.
Is the green wire burned through.
The small green one was worn through, maybe hanging by a thread of wire - that is the fuel pump signal wire. The thick red one was the worst. The hole in the insulation was filled with green powder - basically oxidized copper I guess. Hard to believe it didn't die on me sooner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no fuel pump prime or OBDII, found my problem