Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Please help with 98 T/A fuel tank headache

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help with 98 T/A fuel tank headache

Okay so let me give you some background to fully understand the issues i've been having:

I picked up the car about a year ago. It's very high mileage (216,000) with a drive train rebuild about 80,000 miles ago.

When I got the car, it had a leak in the tank which I had repaired. While the tank was being fixed the mechanic told me the tank was on its last leg- it has what he called "soft spots." He claimed that while it was fixable this time, that eventually it would need to be replaced.

Like an idiot I didn't have the fuel pump checked out and that decided to die on me about 2 weeks after I had the tank repaired. So the tank was once again removed and the pump replaced.

So while that problem was resolved here is the problem I am currently facing:

I have been having trouble when I fill my tank up to 3/4 or above. When I make a right hand turn, fuel leaks from the filler cap. I changed the cap a few months ago and am still having the same problem (see pic.)

I've been searching this forum for days and while I've leaned a lot I am not any closer to a solution! As far as I can tell:

1) No one currently makes a replacement tank for 98 LS1 fbody cars due to its 1-year only tank design.
2) Swapping to a 99-02 plastic tank is not a straightforward job.
3) Swapping to a 99-02 tank is not impossible but I have yet to find a write up on the process that includes info on the rewiring required to make the fuel gauge work properly.

That being said, why is this happening in the first place? I tried the most obvious thing (to me anyway) which was replacing the cap, but that had no effect. Is there something I can do to fix the problem without replacing the tank?

I'm not opposed to replacing it as I plan to keep the car, but it seems the only way to do that "simply" is by buying a used tank, and how do I know that tank doesn't suffer from the same problem?

Any advice on this would be awesome, or any suggestions as to what the problem is and a way to fix it. Please help!

Thanks to my car being filthy, you can see in these pics the fuel which was leaking out earlier today after I stopped for gas.

[IMG]CIMG3872 by jlfalcone3rd, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Is there another alternative, such as swapping to a 93-97 tank, or using an aftermarket fuel cell?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLFIII
2) Swapping to a 99-02 plastic tank is not a straightforward job.
3) Swapping to a 99-02 tank is not impossible but I have yet to find a write up on the process that includes info on the rewiring required to make the fuel gauge work properly.
This is the fuel level sender required to convert the 4 gen fuel pump module the read the analog fuel gauge in the 98 Camaro.

Original application 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. First series prior to Vin 238198
3.8 V6
This is the genuine AC Delco part lists for over $100.00.
SK 1083 Fuel lever sender.
There is another Herko brand listed for about $25.00 it is a cheap knock off.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
This is the fuel level sender required to convert the 4 gen fuel pump module the read the analog fuel gauge in the 98 Camaro.

Original application 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. First series prior to Vin 238198
3.8 V6
This is the genuine AC Delco part lists for over $100.00.
SK 1083 Fuel lever sender.
There is another Herko brand listed for about $25.00 it is a cheap knock off.
So if I understand you correctly, I would need a 99+ tank and fuel pump along with the fuel level sensor listed above for a swap....?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, if the 98 TA is a 0-90 ohm analog gauge.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
Yes, if the 98 TA is a 0-90 ohm analog gauge.
Not that I don't believe you lol but since this is an expensive repair is there anyone out there who has done this that can confirm???
Old 04-17-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Did a quick search and this is what I found. That said maybe there is a difference between a 1998 Z28 Camaro tank and a 1998 TA Pontiac tank.

Appears Spectra is a major mfg of gas tanks. You might want to call them directly. The PN appears to be the same from the four below. RockAuto is the cheapest and still a Spectra.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/spectra-ste...998g177j1#tab2

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Fuel+Tank

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...Redirect=02539

http://www.rockauto.com/

Salvage yard parts.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a local salvage yard to let you compare your old tank with one out of a 1998 Z 28 to see if they are identical. Can't imagine that they would be different.

Shining a light inside will tell you how much rust is inside if any.

hth

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 04-17-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Did a quick search and this is what I found. That said maybe there is a difference between a 1998 Z28 Camaro tank and a 1998 TA Pontiac tank.

Appears Spectra is a major mfg of gas tanks. You might want to call them directly. The PN appears to be the same from the four below. RockAuto is the cheapest and still a Spectra.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/spectra-ste...998g177j1#tab2

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Fuel+Tank

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...Redirect=02539

http://www.rockauto.com/

Salvage yard parts.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a local salvage yard to let you compare your old tank with one out of a 1998 Z 28 to see if they are identical. Can't imagine that they would be different.

Shining a light inside will tell you how much rust is inside if any.

hth
Hmmmm...I got really excited for a minute about the spectra tanks and now I'm not sure...I looked in their site at their catalog and they list the same part number (GM 27114C) for all Trans Am model years from 98-02, which we obviously know is not the case.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rather than speculate, I would contact Spectra. It's possible they make a steel tank for the 99-2002 Camaro's and Pontiacs instead of a plastic one. Be specific with whoever you are speaking too and ask if the 1999-2002 are replacements for the plastic versions. And if so - why the same part number.

Might want to review this link:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...-trans-am.html

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 04-18-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Rather than speculate, I would contact Spectra. It's possible they make a steel tank for the 99-2002 Camaro's and Pontiacs instead of a plastic one. Be specific with whoever you are speaking too and ask if the 1999-2002 are replacements for the plastic versions. And if so - why the same part number.

Might want to review this link:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...-trans-am.html
I'd rather not speculate, but like most companies these days they do not have a phone number, nor a straight forward email address, but rather one of those leave your name/email/comment sections...AKA send your info into oblivion and never get a response.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd rather not speculate, but like most companies these days they do not have a phone number, nor a straight forward email address, but rather one of those leave your name/email/comment sections...AKA send your info into oblivion and never get a response.
No offense but it's probably best to check their website under 'Contact Us' to see if they have a phone number and if they answer before 'speculating' that they will not answer.

I just called them at their location in Riverside California and talked to their tech support and spoke to a real live person. I talked them on their 800 number.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

No offense but it's probably best to check their website under 'Contact Us' to see if they have a phone number and if they answer before 'speculating' that they will not answer.

I just called them at their location in Riverside California and talked to their tech support and spoke to a real live person. I talked them on their 800 number.
I will give them a call after Easter. I did not see the "contact us" in the corner of their page, but if you click the gigantic "Technical Support" icon on the page you get a generic 'we will respond later form.'

In reference to the original post, what is wrong with/damaged on my tank that causes the fuel to slosh out of the filler neck?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will give them a call after Easter. I did not see the "contact us" in the corner of their page, but if you click the gigantic "Technical Support" icon on the page you get a generic 'we will respond later form.'

In reference to the original post, what is wrong with/damaged on my tank that causes the fuel to slosh out of the filler neck?
As I recall there is a check valve in the filler neck as a safety precaution to keeps gas from running out the filler neck in case of a rollover.

Whether or not that is a separate part that can be inserted into the filler neck - you might want to check with Spectra when you call them. It's probably not. If your tank was so rusted, the check valve or device in the filler neck is rusted as well and isn't working.

Or check with a salvage yard and see if they have 98 tanks that have been removed and if the valve is there.

Three turns is all that is required when replacing the cap after a fillup. A bad gas cap can also cause the 'Service Required' light on the dash to come on.

You might ask the person who repaired the gas tank how he removed the gas in the tank so he could make the repair. If he removed it through the filler neck that's a sign that the valve in the filler neck isn't working.

hth - good luck.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 04-18-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pics are from another forum with issue same as yours. The consensus is that the flap should close completely. In addition the gas cap should completely seal and not allow any gasoline to escape.

When you replaced the cap was it OEM or an aftermarket gas cap?

Note that the flap is only partially open in the pic in link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183593...57623345499537

Note that flap is completely closed in pic in link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183593...7623345499537/

hth
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Pics are from another forum with issue same as yours. The consensus is that the flap should close completely. In addition the gas cap should completely seal and not allow any gasoline to escape.

When you replaced the cap was it OEM or an aftermarket gas cap?

Note that the flap is only partially open in the pic in link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183593...57623345499537

Note that flap is completely closed in pic in link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183593...7623345499537/

hth
I think this must be my issue, my neck looks just like the one from that first image...I suppose this is not fixable?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just speculation but if the neck didn't leak before the tank was removed for repairs and now the neck leaks my guess would be that it was damaged when trying to remove the gasoline from the tank via the neck in order to make removal of the tank easier.

You might call Spectre and ask if the neck only is replaceable. I think the tank and filler neck is all one piece however for the 98's.

I have a 98 Z28 and it was completely rust free when I opened it up to install a RaceTronix fuel pump kit.

I think you if look, you should be able to find a good used tank from a 98 that isn't rusted bad. Or buy a new tank if you plan to keep the car awhile.

For example, where I live there is a salvage yard with a whole row of Camaros stacked on top of each other. Camaro's in salvage yards are plentiful.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Just speculation but if the neck didn't leak before the tank was removed for repairs and now the neck leaks my guess would be that it was damaged when trying to remove the gasoline from the tank via the neck in order to make removal of the tank easier.

You might call Spectre and ask if the neck only is replaceable. I think the tank and filler neck is all one piece however for the 98's.

I have a 98 Z28 and it was completely rust free when I opened it up to install a RaceTronix fuel pump kit.

I think you if look, you should be able to find a good used tank from a 98 that isn't rusted bad. Or buy a new tank if you plan to keep the car awhile.

For example, where I live there is a salvage yard with a whole row of Camaros stacked on top of each other. Camaro's in salvage yards are plentiful.
The previous owner had told me that gas had come out from there on a few occasions (he didn't have the car long), but since the rest of the car was solid I didn't think much of it. I honestly thought it was just an issue with the gas cap being bad. A year later and with more info I now know the problem is a little more involved.

I think for the sake of cost I'm going to look into finding a junk yard tank that is in good condition.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 98 Z28. I took a good look at the tank filler neck and it appears that the valve to keep the gas from coming out is actually plastic and it either screwed into the filler neck or is pressed in.

You would think that if the filler neck valve goes bad or is damaged that one could replace it rather than having to buy a new tank.

You might check with GM and see if the part is actually available. Or if a junk yard will sell you a good used filler neck from a 98 tank that is rusted out. If so then you could either weld the filler neck to your tank, or attempt to replace just the filler neck valve with the good one from salvage.

However, if not available from GM, then Spectra would have to make the part out of plastic so they could insert it into the metal filler neck on their steel tank they make for 98's.

Whether you can find out from Spectra where they get the filler neck valve from a third party supplier or if it's replaceable - who knows if they will tell you.

What you don't want to do is buy a tank from them only later to find out that the plastic valve isn't included with their steel tank.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Okay, so I finally got around to calling Spectra.

Actually I tried calling Rock Auto first, and they told me to contact Spectra because they didn't have an answer to me (as to why they list the same tank & part # for all 98-02 5.7L Firebirds and Camaros when GM used two completely different tanks with two completely different part numbers.)

So I called spectra and spoke to someone on their technical assistance line and I got the distinct impression their knowledge on the subject was limited to what was on their computer screens...

When I explained that GM had a 15.5 gallon tank for 98 that was steel and a 16.8 gallon tank (with separate filler neck) for 99-02 the guy got pretty forceful and insisted that "some cars" from 99-02 were equipped with steel tanks and that their part (# GM27114C) will replace any of the cars from 98-02 with a steel tank.

Honestly I was not even close to convinced enough to order one and I'm probably just going to start a search for a clean used tank or another option (fuel cell?)
Old 01-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Hi, I was just wondering if you ever fixed your problem? I have the exact same problem on my 98 with fuel coming out of the filler neck and leaking down the side. Replaced the evap purge solenoid, three gas caps, and fuel tank vent valve. Thinking about doing the 99-02 plastic tank swap. Just curious if you ever found out what the problem was?

Quick Reply: Please help with 98 T/A fuel tank headache