Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Replaced fuel level sender to fix fuel gauge, no change

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Replaced fuel level sender to fix fuel gauge, no change

First, the history. My stock fuel pump was upgraded to a Racetronix Walbro 255LPH kit in 2010. After putting everything back together, we realized the fuel gauge was inaccurate (ran out of fuel at 1/8 full and doesn't fill past 7/8 full). We assumed based upon the coincidence that the fuel sender arm was bent during reinstallation. Because it was such a PITA to deal with (I've so far refused to install an access panel, this may change my mind though), I just kept dealing with it.

In 2011, I found that the part was out of production so I bought one mail order from Vintage Parts. But again, it stayed in the box until it was convenient.

So I finally get off my *** and take it to a service at a former Chevy dealer this past Tuesday. I explain the above but they only write "Replace sensor gas gauge part in car" as the concern. They replaced it the same day, but found I also had sprung a leak in my fuel wiring next to the passenger cylinder head. So I wait a couple of days for that part and pick it up this morning.

I paid the $500 invoice, and immediately went to a gas station to fill up the tank. There doesn't appear to be any change, as full still shows as about 7/8 full on the gauge. Take it back to the shop and the Tech 2 shows max capacity as 15.5g, capacity remaining 12.6g.

So because I didn't buy the part from them, service writer states the only way I could get the labor warranted is if I contact Vintage Parts to cover the cost. While I haven't done that, it seems like that would be highly unlikely given the scenario.

The service writer called me back at work and he says they tested the old sender and it was flakley, they ohm'ed it out and it was fluctuating really badly.

The Helms manual on pages 6-1823 through 6-1825 details replacing/servicing the fuel level sender, but there are not any diagnostics mentioned to verify whether the sender is installed correctly.

Any suggestions on where to go with this would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by JimMueller; 05-09-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

To the top. Spoke with the service manager Saturday morning and he will discuss with the service writer tomorrow morning. Not sure where we would begin trying to diagnose the problem now.

Are there aftermarket fuel level senders? Are there any known compatibility issues using the Racetronix kit with the sender? I'm not sure if I truly need the 255LPH pump nor how to determine if I need it... should I consider going back to a stock pump (if it's safe to use it) to prevent them from pointing the finger at the aftermarket pump?
Old 04-16-2015, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is old and you might have fixed it. But regarding racetronix/stock sender compcompatability... I didn't have that issue, and it worked just like the stock.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Never fixed it. I had received an offer from a dealer for a free diagnostic but I never took them up on it.

Quick Reply: Replaced fuel level sender to fix fuel gauge, no change