Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Injector help needed converting to E85

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Injector help needed converting to E85

I am currently running Seimens Deka LS1 60lbs injectors on with pump gas in my low boost (8psi) twin turbo stock shortblock LS2 GTO with a ported LS2 intake. I daily drive it 75 miles round trip and two E85 stations recently opened within a reasonable distance of my commute route so I am considering switching and have accumulated most of the fuel system componants including Lonnies dual pump return system, Nastys LS1 rails and boost referanced regulator. The only thing left are the injectors. I am converting now but I am in process of building a forged shortblock and ported heads to be installed later in the year hopefully. My current setup is around 550 RWH with a goal of 750-800 ultimatey.
I would like the flexabilty of going back to pump gas and meth injection if I found it was inconvenient to run the E85 or if I go on a long trip where there are no E85 stations. I have HP tuners so I would have two tunes to switch between easily. I was originally considering the Seimens Deks 80s as I know I could run them for both ok but I realize they are a bit small for the upper end on E85. Is there a better choice for my situation and am I leaving anything on the table by not considering a different style injector from a technology standpoint.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody? I have had others recommend ID 1000. Are they worth twice the price of the Seimens Deka 80lbs injectors?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over build your fuel system. You can always scale big injectors down, but obviously you can't over scale smaller injectors, you just simply run out of fuel by maxing out the injector duty cycle. It may be hard to control big injectors to idle, though alot of tuners make it work.

With your goals in mind, it sounds like flexfuel would work out for you. You'll need a flexfuel capable ECU, wire in an ethanol sensor, and a tune. The problem with switching from a gasoline to an Ethanol map or vice-versa, is the fact you'll still have some remaining fuel in the tank.

As far as injectosr, I would look for atleast a high-Z 120lb injector. It is VERY easy to run out of injector with E85. Search and pull up all the threads of members who have ran out of fuel. That is why I opted to a Holley Dominator and Low Z injectors.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply. I realize I would be better off overbuilding than running out of fuel and it sounds like that is going to mean larger injectors than I was originally budgeting for. I am considering the Flex fuel sensor as my ECU will support it I've been told and I know it would be better than trying to switch tunes. I will actually be having Ryan@ CMS do the final tune when I get everything done and quit changing things. I am a novice still with Hp tuners although I am trying to learn.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ondatrack
Thanks for the reply. I realize I would be better off overbuilding than running out of fuel and it sounds like that is going to mean larger injectors than I was originally budgeting for. I am considering the Flex fuel sensor as my ECU will support it I've been told and I know it would be better than trying to switch tunes. I will actually be having Ryan@ CMS do the final tune when I get everything done and quit changing things. I am a novice still with Hp tuners although I am trying to learn.
Ryne @ CMS is an expert when it comes to that setup. He will be doing mine shortly. Since you already have the ECU, I would simply buy the injectors, the Ethanol sensor, and call it a day assuming the rest of your fuel system is up to par for E85. Try giving some sponsors on the side a call, FIC and ID seem to be the popular guys to go with when it comes to injectors. Goodluck man!

Quick Reply: Injector help needed converting to E85