Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Need Help diagnosing fuel pump problems

Old 07-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help diagnosing fuel pump problems

I have a 99 Firebird Formula that is not getting any fuel pressure. You can't hear the pump priming when you turn the ignition to the on position, and there is no pressure at all in the rail when you pull the cap off. I tried switching the fuel pump relay with another relay. That didn't help any, so I checked all the fuses to find them all intact. The car had been sitting for about 3 weeks without being cranked. The battery was dead, so we replaced and suddenly no fuel. How can I test to make sure the relay and fuse points are getting a signal and is there a way to test the leads going into the fuel pump itself to see if the unit is getting a signal. I'm trying to exhaust all the potential electrical issues before I drop $1k to have my fuel pump changed out. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can hear the pump running its pretty safe to assume its wiring is intact. does the car start and die? security? jumper the relay and check pressure with a gauge. maybe the discharge hose blew off of the pump inside the tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help diagnosing fuel pump problems