Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Need help w/budget fuel upgrade. Where to get lines, fittings & which ones??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 04:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help w/budget fuel upgrade. Where to get lines, fittings & which ones??

(02' C5 w/factory intake)

Please help me out so I can get the car ready to take my dad to the show & cruse this year.
I want to return the favor & do something for him by getting our project done so he can show it off to his Ol' buddys.
Thank you in advance for any help/advice that can help me get this done is really appreciated.

This is my first time trying to rush & complete a project on such a small budget for what I'm trying to accomplish. (trying to finish this build/repair has my funds stretched thin).

I know this is not an area where one should take the "cheap" route, I just need to get this done safely ASAP. It only needs to last a couple years, be safe & nice looking.

Are there any vendors or other sources that sell pre made fuel rail crossovers, rail supply line w/or without GM adapter & or the "-6 to GM Fitting Inlet Line adapter" for a reasonable price? (on a tight budget)

& what type of lines should I get to avoid internal breakdown & vapor leakage?

What is the best option buy pre made lines or buy line & fab myself?

What rails under $175 fit the ls6 intake w/out adjustment?

Are these any good(I read on another thread that this guy uses them in all his builds but..??)? http://www.ebay.com/itm/290621370255?_trksid=p2059212.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITOr are there any other budget minded rails that work/fit the ls6 intake?

Will these work on factory GM Ls1 intake? Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT EFI Fuel Rail Kit
item# 109-3629
or these Edelbrock Aluminum LS1 Fuel Rails for use with Bosch injectors item# 109-3638
(02' C5)

ANY input on which/where: rails, lines, connections & set-up WELCOME..

Thank you again for your time
Old 08-25-2014, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The fuel rails you posted appear to be well made, at a good price. The ends are machined for the "O" ring type fittings. Which are more desirable than rails machine for pipe threads. If I were in the market for fuel rails, I would purchase them.
The Edelbrock rails are machined for pipe thread.
This is a link to fittings at Summit Racing.
http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...EFI%20fittings
Do a forum search this subject has been discussed many times.

There are vendors who fabricate the cross over lines. Being on a budget they can be made up, they are not that difficult,dispute what everyone clames.
Fabricate the lines with PTEF not rubber.

Last edited by Ollie8974; 08-25-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

Solid billet block fuel rail and billet mounts to the intake. Budget install kit easy to assemble or the high quality hose kit. All linked here

http://www.nastyperformance.com/shop/nasty-performance-ls1-ls6-fast-78-90-92-billet-block-fuel-rails/

http://www.nastyperformance.com/shop/nasty-performance-corvette-fuel-rail-install-kit/

http://www.nastyperformance.com/shop/nasty-performance-f-body-budget-fuel-rail-install-kit/
Old 08-26-2014, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
The fuel rails you posted appear to be well made, at a good price. The ends are machined for the "O" ring type fittings. Which are more desirable than rails machine for pipe threads. If I were in the market for fuel rails, I would purchase them.
The Edelbrock rails are machined for pipe thread.
This is a link to fittings at Summit Racing.
http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...EFI%20fittings
Do a forum search this subject has been discussed many times.

There are vendors who fabricate the cross over lines. Being on a budget they can be made up, they are not that difficult,dispute what everyone clames.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about or find that info the rail ends, guess things like that get lost in the hundreds of FAST threads.
I tried searching & couldn't really come up w/anything current on rails under $150. I'm trying to get the rails & lines completed for $200 or less if possible w/o sacrificing safety.
If you or any one else could point me in the right direction on where to search & or give any more input I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check this link, follow the links.
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/6...es-took-a-crap

Do a forum search.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.ph...2&pp=25&page=2

Last edited by Ollie8974; 08-26-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Exactly please with fuel do it right the first time. Can't tell you the amount of phone calls I get from others failed rails or lines. Look at used but do it proper.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Teching In

Thank you for all your help & time spent providing it.

The fuel rails you posted appear to be well made, at a good price. The ends are machined for the "O" ring type fittings. Which are more desirable than rails machine for pipe threads.

So I have another question I can't really find an (constant) answer to, are the ORB AN better on the fuel rail ends/stationary hi-press connections than the reg AN flare or just better than NPT ?
I haven't seen (I searched for a good while) AN flare fittings w/ O-Ring & I tell at all if the rails are machined for AN flare w/ O-ring or just AN ORB (can't see in there).
I'm "virgin" to ORB AN on Fuel/ethahol & just ASSumed the performance/auto fuel side of things used AN flare fittings (b/c I usually just see standard flared AN & I thought it may eat the orings unlike oil),

^^VERY HELPFUL!!

Searching the whole site ^here^ is giving me alot more info.

Thank you for all the help, insight & advice.
The way I was searching (only this forum & not the whole) site had quite a bit to do with my lack of results.

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Exactly please with fuel do it right the first time. Can't tell you the amount of phone calls I get from others failed rails or lines. Look at used but do it proper.
Thanks for the reply & advice, I surely don't want a fireball.
Those look like NICE parts but I can't afford to spend that much on rails at the moment & I'm going to change intakes next year
& rail mounting will be different so these are just a temp thing to make my Pop more proud of this project. (he hates plastic covering engine & the stock rails... as do I)
But I will deff keep you in mind for next year. (but if you have a used or blem set or come up w/one in the next week let me know) PM me & get my email)
What type of fittings & hose do you offer?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"So I have another question I can't really find an (constant) answer to, are the ORB AN better on the fuel rail ends/stationary hi-press connections than the reg AN flare or just better than NPT ?
I haven't seen (I searched for a good while) AN flare fittings w/ O-Ring & I tell at all if the rails are machined for AN flare w/ O-ring or just AN ORB (can't see in there).
I'm "virgin" to ORB AN on Fuel/ethahol & just ASSumed the performance/auto fuel side of things used AN flare fittings (b/c I usually just see standard flared AN & I thought it may eat the orings unlike oil),"
Bookmark all these links you are finding useful.
The ORB fittings are preferred over NTP. The ORB fittings are AN on one end and O Ring on the other.

Link to Summit O Ring fittings.
http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...20AN%20Adapter

Last edited by Ollie8974; 08-27-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks again for your time & help. I'm defiantly going the PTFE route thanks to your heads up on that.
Also making my own lines (thanks again) watched a how-to & I believe that a 12yr old could do it, I thought a special tool was needed like w/ ac or hydro lines.
I placed an order for some of the AN PTFE fittings... but hit a wall in regards as to witch PTFE lines to get & where to get them.
All of the PTFE line/hose I've found from performance mail order & other sites list the PTFE AN hose for use w/brake & steering.
I'm thinking b/c of the articles I've found from mags & sites, state that the Teflon stores static thus you need to use a special "conductive core" PTFE line. ???
Is this true?... just a marketing scheme? or an over paranoid liability statement?
If It's a must, I'll bite the bullet & drop the coin (@$120 for 10ft) that will bust my budget.
If it's actually needed could you point me in the direction as to where to get the line for a decent price or at-least purchase by the ft.
Below is one of the things I read about using Teflon AN lines for fuel, this one from SC :

From SC(slightly altered):"PTFE hoses have been around for a long time, used mostly for brake- and hydraulic-fluid transfer applications. The big advancement in PTFE fuel hoses is that they now are available with a "conductive core" inside. This a carbon lining added during manufacturing that, when combined with the fittings that install on each end of a hose assembly, provides a path for any static charge in the line.
If you're wondering where a static charge would come from in the fuel line, it's a quirk of the PTFE material. When a non-conductive fluid, such as gasoline, diesel, ethanol, methanol, or a similar product passes through it at high velocities, stray electrons in the form of static electricity are generated. That's a condition you don't want with gas, so the conductive core of the PTFE fuel hose eliminates the chance that the static charge will find a ground and fry your car.
TechAFX is a leading developer of aftermarket PTFE components, with products built not only to OE vehicle engineering standards, but military specifications.
To keep the car from flaming up, it's imperative that only conductive-core PTFE hose be used for fuel lines. " ?????????????

Again from SC ^^^

Ollie8974, Thank you so much for your time, help, advice & patience.

Anyone w/insight is welcome to chime in.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Do not be concerned with the conductive hose thing. PTFE isn't required, but you will not get fuel permeation is you use it. Fuel permeation = fuel smell, and sometimes it's really bad. There's stainless braided PTFE lines that are a complete pain in the *** to route and put fittings on and there's PTFE out there that's nice to work with, but costs a lot more.

One dumb question - are you upgrading the fuel rails for bling or for performance?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Conductive PTFE is the correct choice for fuel lines.

Conductive is the correct line to use for explosive liquids.
You should not be giving advice like this unless you are a qualified engineer to do so....
I am.... Conductive PTFE line is mandatory for explosive liquids, Any other substitution is a risk & not recommended.

Last edited by Lonnies Performance; 09-01-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a link to PTEF hose at a reasonable price.
http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/stainless-steel-lines/
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Conductive PTFE is the correct choice for fuel lines.

Conductive is the correct line to use for explosive liquids.
You should not be giving advice like this unless you are a qualified engineer to do so....
I am.... Conductive PTFE line is mandatory for explosive liquids, Any other substitution is a risk & not recommended.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may as well be funny since you aren't adding much constructive content....

Here is a link to a bulletin from Gates that also sets guidelines for the use of conductive line. I guess all the manufacturers don't know what they are talking about.

http://www.gatespowerpro.com/resourc...gePTFEHose.pdf

Quick Reply: Need help w/budget fuel upgrade. Where to get lines, fittings & which ones??