Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car bogging over bumps and sometimes WOT

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car bogging over bumps and sometimes WOT

I recently replaced my fuel pump and I've been having some issues since. When I go over bumps or a change in the road, it acts like it loses fuel for a half second and then gets right back into the swing of things. Sometimes, at WOT it will bog down and then be fine and then bog again.

Here's a little history

About 3 weeks ago, the car shut off abruptly. I couldn't hear the fuel pump engage, so I assumed that's what it was. I replaced the pump and the car still wouldn't run. My next step was to check power since I still couldn't hear the pump prime. I found that I wasn't getting any power to the pump so I wound up pulling the fuel pump relay, extending the PCM wire and Constant (+) wire to the relay from the fuse box and ran a new ground to the relay and then a new power wire from the relay to the pump. Essentially, it's wired the exact same as if it were in the fuse box, only it's now mounted and outside of the fuse box. I figured this would be easier than chasing a broken or chafed wire or bad ground. This wound up correcting the problem of the pump not priming or getting power.

The pump works and the car drives fine, aside from the issue I've mentioned. What's odd is that I can make a 3rd gear pull from 80 MPH and the car doesn't hesitate at all. Sometimes it'll drive just fine and other times, it'll bog. For the first few days, I didn't have an issue. This just started today and it's bothering me.

One last note: When I installed the pump, I had to hard wire the power and ground inside of the tank and used butt connectors. I don't know if gas is conductive, but could that be the issue? Should I have heat shrinked the connector?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Bryan
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 AM

Bump.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 AM
12 Second Club

Your original pump was probably not the issue. Did you replace the entire wires from front to back or just the section between the pcm and relay? When a wire overheats from bad connection or chafed, it will burn at its weakest point. Repair that point and not hunting down the original cause will keep you chasing wiring issues. I'd replace the rest of the wire and test it. Some fuel pump kits come with butt connectors. unless you have a bad crimp job(failed tug test), It will be ok.

Quick Reply: Car bogging over bumps and sometimes WOT