Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

P0174 code

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry P0174 code

I have been getting this code for a few days now and it's getting annoying. The engine has been rebuilt,the car is stock.
Opti,plugs,wires,injectors,fuel filter,etc have been replaced.The fuel pump was replaced 2 years ago.

The code pops up sometimes fast and sometimes it takes a few miles. Car runs fine when running.

I drove to the local hardware store to pick up a few things and the car did something that is hasn't before........When I started the car,it was 3-5 seconds before it fired up and as soon as it did,the revs dropped low and the car died. I tried again and I thought I was going to have to gas it to get it to start,but I didn't have to,it fired up and ran fine.

Fuel pressure...
Primed 38psi
Idle 32psi
Removed FPR hose(WOT) 42psi

I'm not so sure now that my fuel pump or regulator isn't on it's way out?

I'm installing a CAI kit tomorrow,so I'm going to check the vacuum lines again,but I have already checked them three times. If I can't fix the problem,then back to my mechanic goes I guess.

If you have any suggestions,Please let me know.Thanks
Old 11-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
I have been getting this code for a few days now and it's getting annoying. The engine has been rebuilt,the car is stock.
Opti,plugs,wires,injectors,fuel filter,etc have been replaced.The fuel pump was replaced 2 years ago.

The code pops up sometimes fast and sometimes it takes a few miles. Car runs fine when running.

I drove to the local hardware store to pick up a few things and the car did something that is hasn't before........When I started the car,it was 3-5 seconds before it fired up and as soon as it did,the revs dropped low and the car died. I tried again and I thought I was going to have to gas it to get it to start,but I didn't have to,it fired up and ran fine.

Fuel pressure...
Primed 38psi
Idle 32psi
Removed FPR hose(WOT) 42psi

I'm not so sure now that my fuel pump or regulator isn't on it's way out?

I'm installing a CAI kit tomorrow,so I'm going to check the vacuum lines again,but I have already checked them three times. If I can't fix the problem,then back to my mechanic goes I guess.

If you have any suggestions,Please let me know.Thanks

I'm actually having the same problem with both cars at the moment. I have a 2000 camaro z28 that's basically stock and an '85 celica gts that both died on the highway this morning on my fiance. I'm not getting any irregular codes other than the egr code. I put gas in thinking it was dry and it seemed to help. I think the fuel pump got hot on mine and is on it's way out but yours sounds like a whole other animal.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

After I installed the CAI,I haven't had the code return. Took it this past weekend to get inspected and there wasn't any sign of a CEL. I knew that to begin with,since I scanned it first.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Code P0174

I'm throwing the same code (along with P0171) which is a lean condition. Seems mine will only do it if I get on it a little. Although it throw the codes the engine still runs fine. Thought mine may be a vacuum leak or the fuel system can't quite keep up with demand. To help find my problem let me ask a few questions. Are you running a MAF? When you installed the CAI do you think you may have closed up a vacuum leak? Did you tighten an exhaust flange by any chance? What was the condition of the old filter? Thanks
Old 11-09-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you running a MAF?
Yes,stock MAF

When you installed the CAI do you think you may have closed up a vacuum leak?
Absolutely.None of the stock air intake parts sealed correctly anymore.That was my original first thought.I did replace some vacuum lines when I was installing the CAI also. Did I fix a vacuum leak when I replaced some lines,I'm not sure.But,it's possible.

Did you tighten an exhaust flange by any chance?
Nope

What was the condition of the old filter?
K&N.Just cleaned with around 200 miles on it.

Quick Reply: P0174 code