Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E85 Fuel line and regulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 Fuel line and regulator

I am running two walbro 450 in tank pumps. The outlet out of the billet hat is -8. What size fuel line should I run? Two -8 out of the tank into a Y and -8 or -10 forward? Or should I run -6 out into a Y then -8 forward? What regulator should I run? I expect to the motor to make around 700 at the wheels but I would like to leave some head room for future upgrades.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was about to ask the same exact questions. I have 2 in tank walbro 450's and trying to decide if I am running a -8 or a -10 up to the rails. The outlets on the walbros are 3/8 (-6) so I was going to Y them together inside the fuel tank into a -8 or -10 and use a 90 degree swept bulkhead fitting through the fuel plate on the tank then Y off to either -6 or -8 into each rail, come out the ends of the rails in the same size to the FPR and run a single -8 return. I plan on 800whp in this build and will step up to 1000rwhp in a couple years.

What size lines should we be running????? I really need to order all my fittings and lines. Help us out!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

The purpose of having two fuel pumps is to be able to move a large volume of fuel. But if you neck it down to one line, that defeats the purpose.

Run 2 -8 lines to the engine bay, and connect one line to the end of each fuel rail. I would also use a -8 return.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Flow through a straight line (for the sake of discussion) is going to be proportional to the cross sectional area of the duct the fluid if flowing through (Fuel Hose ID) The cross sectional area of the lines at hand:

-6AN = 0.11045 inch^2

-8AN = 0.19635 inch^2

-10AN = 0.30680 inch^2

Therefore running 2 -6AN lines flows about the same as a single -8AN. Merging two -6AN lines into a -10AN will not create a restriction as the -10AN flows that of about three -6AN lines.

There is nothing wrong with using a fuel Y-Block to merge the 2 -6AN feed lines into a single -8AN or -10AN. No reason to run 2 seperate fuel feeds. Especially when the goal is to run a single pump all the time and then kick the 2nd one on under boost using a Hobbs pressure switch. This method could not be accomplished using your methods as both pumps must feed both rails....and there is no reason to have 2 pumps running all the time. Furthermore if they were running, the return would have to be able to handle its flowrate. 800-900 LPH....lmao that would need to be a pretty big return line.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with everything he said^

I have 2 416's (same physical size, but intended for e85). -6 hose fits over the nipple on the pump perfectly so that is what I am running. They merge in the tank to a single -8 bulkhead and I run a single -8 hose up to the fuel rails. One comes on @ 4psi with a hobbs switch. The regulator I have on mine is a magnafuel 9925-b (b stands for boost reference). It is black. I know some people can't find the black one when they search, but I promise they are out there. Has given me no reason to think it's too small yet and I don't plan to change it even if I make more power than I already am. Controls fuel pressure steadily even @ 80 psi.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula
I agree with everything he said^

I have 2 416's (same physical size, but intended for e85). -6 hose fits over the nipple on the pump perfectly so that is what I am running. They merge in the tank to a single -8 bulkhead and I run a single -8 hose up to the fuel rails. One comes on @ 4psi with a hobbs switch. The regulator I have on mine is a magnafuel 9925-b (b stands for boost reference). It is black. I know some people can't find the black one when they search, but I promise they are out there. Has given me no reason to think it's too small yet and I don't plan to change it even if I make more power than I already am. Controls fuel pressure steadily even @ 80 psi.
The setup you just described is exactly what I am going to run; the pumps, line sizes, regulator, etc. Ordered my stuff and then read this just now. Glad to see this works well with the power you are running as I plan on being just short of where your at. (~145-150mph trap in 3200lb car)

Quick Reply: E85 Fuel line and regulator