Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

running fuel lines, will this work ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default running fuel lines, will this work ok?

redoing fuel system and my plan is to do this, im not 100% sure if it will work so thats why im asking, if i left something out or im missing something, why im asking lol.

i plan on running a -8 adapter off my pump assembly feed, running -8 line with filter to driver side of FAST fuel rail, use there -8 cross over on the front to pass side rail, then run a -8 return line off pass side rail back to return port on pump assembly, keeping factory fuel pressure regulator in tank, currently have a aeromotive 340lph pump in tank.

will this keep the 65psi FP ive had or at least 60-70psi? or will it just flow through the rail and dump back into tank and have minimal to no pressure? thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

The stock fuel pressure regulator is designed for a single line, returnless system. If you add a return line, you should get rid of the stock pressure regulator in the tank, and add an aftermarket part near the back end of the passenger side fuel rail.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:17 AM
TECH Resident

so it has to return before it gets to the rails? my understanding is the stock line goes through the filter then T's off, one end goes to the rails other back to the tank as the return correct?

would i be able to remake it just like the factory lines but in -8 and be fine?

have -8 off feed from pump, through a filter, then a T in the line, one goes to fuel rails, other goes back to return?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also a second regulator in the factory rails. I'm curious about your setup as well and if only having 1 regulator changes much
Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

o ok, havnt looked at them in awhile, was thinking Fbodys had them in the pump assembly and trucks had them on the rails, hmmm probably just fork it out at this point and get a boost reference FPR i guess lol
Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

guess i can ask this while in here then, say i ditch both factory FPRs, i i plumb it like i said in first post, could i put an Aeromotive 13110 boost reference FPR on the last fuel rail/between the back of the pass side rail and the return line, so the rails feed into the regulator and then the return line comes out of the FPR and back to tank, that would be the correct way to run it yes?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The better way to do it would be to run your feed to a Y fitting right before the back of the rails. From the Y fitting go to each rail. Mount the regulator on front of one of the rails. Crossover from the front of the other rail to the regulator, then run your return line from the regulator to your tank.

Look at pic in these instructions.

http://fuelab.com/wp-content/uploads...tructions1.pdf
Old 01-14-2015, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

that 51501 is boost referenced also correct? think that was the one i was looking at getting, probably just end up running it like that then.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

I heard y-ing the lines wasn't really necessary unless your pushing 1200-1500 hp because at that point ur run the risk of running out of fuel by the last injector
Old 01-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
I heard y-ing the lines wasn't really necessary unless your pushing 1200-1500 hp because at that point ur run the risk of running out of fuel by the last injector
It is generally good practice to Y the lines to equalize pressure across both of the rails and minimize the pressure drop at the injectors.

I'd take power recommendations with a grain of salt. Everyone's fuel system is different, so a Y may work in someone's 1500hp motor and fail in someone's 800hp motor. Do you need it? Who really knows. It's probably worth the extra $20 in fittings to do it right.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

There is also a second regulator in the factory rails. I'm curious about your setup as well and if only having 1 regulator changes much
I'm certainly not an LS1 expert, but I didn't think there was a pressure regulator in the rails.

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
The better way to do it would be to run your feed to a Y fitting right before the back of the rails. From the Y fitting go to each rail. Mount the regulator on front of one of the rails. Crossover from the front of the other rail to the regulator, then run your return line from the regulator to your tank.

Look at pic in these instructions.

http://fuelab.com/wp-content/uploads...tructions1.pdf
That's essentially how my current (Ford) engine is set up, for exactly the reason that you mention. -8 up to the Y, and -6 through the rails, FPR, and back to the tank. Maybe overkill, but no chance of running out of fuel for the last injector.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by .boB
I'm certainly not an LS1 expert, but I didn't think there was a pressure regulator in the rails.
On the factory rails it's the round thing on the cross over I thought
Old 01-16-2015, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

On the factory rails it's the round thing on the cross over I thought
I think that's there to buffer pulsations from the fuel pump. I don't think it's a pressure regulator.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Fuel Pressure regulator is in the Fuel Pump Module.
Attached Thumbnails running fuel lines, will this work ok?-img_1009croped.jpg   running fuel lines, will this work ok?-img_1010croped.jpg  

Quick Reply: running fuel lines, will this work ok?