Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Old gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Old gas

I have a tank full of gas that's been sealed up in the garage for a while and was unsure if it'd be ok to just run out or would I need to drain it. Color has changed slightly and it still smells like gas, though not quite as small as some dress that I have.

Just looking to see why kind of experience you guys have had with aging fuel.

Old

Fresh
Old 03-28-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I work at a salvage yard and burn the gas we pull from all the cars we get in my crappy daily driver, It looks a lot worse than that and doesn't always smell that great but it works and it's free lol. If it still smells good I would mix it with some fresh gas and use it up. Todays gas lasts a lot longer than it used to.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Appreciate the feedback. My thinking before seeing it was that if it looked about the way it is ten I would just run with it. Worst case, I drain 1/2 the tank and refill with fresh. Seen pics of the really old and nasty looking stuff. So I kinda had an idea of what I definitely would not use.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

At what point would I need to be concerned with buildup in the fuel system?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

glad you asked! These injectors had sat for about 2 years with fuel in the rail and the algae was florishing!
About a week after exposer to the air, it's all dried up
Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by slocaddy
glad you asked! These injectors had sat for about 2 years with fuel in the rail and the algae was florishing!
About a week after exposer to the air, it's all dried up
That wouldn't be algae, Algae only grows in bright light. Probably a corrosion issue due to a chemical reaction.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm Good point, whatever it is, is all shriveled up once it was exposed to air????
Old 04-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

My 69 Judge sat from 1983 to 2001 with fuel in the tank. I pulled the tank expecting it to be all sludged up and the fuel and tank were crystal clear clean. I blew out all the fuel lines just be thorough but all was good.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Storing gas typically requires you to put in an additive and fill the tank to the brim so very little air can touch the gas.

If you had a full tank, you're probably okay if it's only been a winter. It largely depends how much air it was exposed to, and for how long. If you drain it from the bottom, you're only draining the (potentially) good part of the gas.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Holy green gunk!! Glad you showed me that. Actually got me thinking about pulling the injectors and having them cleaned. Car has 140k miles and I've only had it for 20k of those.

Tank was all but completely full when it was parked. Wish I would've completely topped it off before. Read that some have tossed in a can of Seafoam to "refresh" a tank of older gas. May give that a try instead of dumping half the tank and then refilling. Especially if I'm only dumping the better part of the gas out
Old 04-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyboyweber
Holy green gunk!! Glad you showed me that. Actually got me thinking about pulling the injectors and having them cleaned. Car has 140k miles and I've only had it for 20k of those.

Tank was all but completely full when it was parked. Wish I would've completely topped it off before. Read that some have tossed in a can of Seafoam to "refresh" a tank of older gas. May give that a try instead of dumping half the tank and then refilling. Especially if I'm only dumping the better part of the gas out
Seafoam doesn't restore gas. It's meant more as a cleaning agent for the internals between the tank and engine. Your car will smoke a LOT while it's running through the seafoam.

A tank of gas is cheap insurance. If you have the means to drain it now, do it. If not, try out what you have before draining it.

Quick Reply: Old gas