Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Aem 320lph Fuel Pump Problems

Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aem 320lph Fuel Pump Problems

Good morning all,
Attempted to start car this morning. 2001 Trans Am. Couple Mods here and there, mostly for handling. Havnt touched the engine yet, but installed an AEM 320lph in take pump a few months ago. Had this problem once before but nothing besides then and now. But! Back to point of the post, went to start her up, clicked the key over and no pump whine, gave it another couple clicks, no engaging. Engine cranks fine, but not getting fuel pressure. Like i said had the problem once before, but drove the other whip to work, got home and it started right up no problems. Had some time this morning to do some troubleshooting first, but no luck. Switched fuses, relays, checked volts in the fuse box along with ohms. All checked out. Any suggestions or ideas would be great! Like i said i have another vehicle for the daily driver. Trans am only gets taken out maybe one day a week so if i have to drop the tank and take a day or two i can.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Got home from work, and like last time. Started right up... I'm baffled
Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a aem 320lph go bad with in a year, I swap to a aermotive stealth 340lph, it's been in a little over a year with no problem until last week, I drove a hour to the track cut it off and it would not crank, ( no fuel pressure) I let it cool down and got it to crank, made a few pass and bam it happened agine, I hook my fuel pump straight to the battery messed with it a few times and got it running drove it home, so it looks like it's time for a new pump for me,
Old 03-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Damn. So you think its just on its way out already?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Update!!! Decided to try to see if shed start this morning for shiggles and and gits, but no dice. Newest theory, cold or dew.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some problems to with my new pumps. I had 2 aem 320 in my tank. because my tank got rusty like **** I think that killed one of them, drove the car to home pull them out and I of them burned through. you can see inside on the green top. the other one run good. and then after 2 days it got stuck to. so both are done.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Damn, i ended up dropping the tank and checking things out, and it turned out the ground wire on the pump had burnt up. Not too sure how. So replaced the wire made sure it was nice and insulated. Having had any issues yet.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Problem again... no whine. Just a clunk noise and no pressure...
Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Yesterday I had an AEM 320 quit on me at a gas station. Drove it maybe 20 miles to the gas station, then went to start it after fuel and it wouldn't produce pressure. Lucky I have a Racetronix 255 installed as a second pump. I switched the second pump on and it started right up. Got it home with good AFR and when I got to the driveway, I decided to switch off the second pump just to see... yep, it sputtered, lost RPM and died. No whine on the pump from switching the key to on, my AEM 320 is definitely dead after less than a month of service.

A little background on my fuel system, the car in question is a 2002 Camaro with a 383HCI. I have an AEM 320 as my primary pump and a Racetronix 255 as a second pump on a manual switch. I'm using two Racetronix hotwire kits on a stock F-body bucket with stock feed and return lines, billet fuel rails with dual -6AN feed (split before the rail) and the stock regulator.

I've come to the conclusion from reading other threads that the AEM is not a quality unit (should have known that from the price!). Furthermore, there was a sponsor that pointed at the stock fuel arrangement for larger pumps. He basically said when you run greater than 255lph, the feed line will support it but the stock regulator and return lines will not support the return rates. I'd believe this, as my AFR with the AEM 320 was richer than with my Racetronix, making me feel like fuel PSI was greater than 59PSI.

So basically, what I'm going to do is a complete fuel system... -8AN feed, stock feed line for a return and a regulator in the engine bay. For those with bolt-ons, my experience would make me believe a 255lph is appropriate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aem 320lph Fuel Pump Problems