Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump going bad?

I changed my rear end out yesterday on my 2000 Trans Am, but due to getting the wrong pinion seal from a kit I ordered from Ebay, I had wait until this morning to get a replacement. The car sat with the rear end in the air overnight, and when I removed the jack stands today, and got ready to drive it, The car would crank, but wouldn't start. Cycled the key, fuel pump primed and kicked off, had over 1/4 tank of gas. One of my friends checked the fuel pressure as I cranked, it had pressure. Cranked the car again pumped the pedal, fires right up.

My question is, it seems like a fuel problem to me, but it had pressure at the rails, so I don't think that would be a fuel pump? It is still doing the same thing, won't start until you pump the gas, like it has a carb or something...What else would it be? maybe something in the ignition? Bad sensor? I'm at a loss on what it could be right now. I never have had any problems out of it in the few months that I have had it, but then again it has 120,000 on the odometer so it wouldn't surprise me if it was. TIA for any help!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it starts up when you hold the pedal to the floor,then its flooding for some reason.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What was the fuel pressure when you turned the ignition? Could be to little fuel getting there or you could have something like leaky injectors causing it to flood and need more air to even it out...

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump going bad?