Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel sending unit not working right PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel sending unit not working right PLEASE HELP

Hey guys, my fuel gauge hasn't worked properly for a while now and I'm finally getting around to it. I've done so much searching and reading but I still can't find what I need, basically a couple years ago my gauge started bouncing around after a fill then would shut off for a couple days then come back. Every once in a while it would work for a couple days then just shut off again, I haven't seen it for months now until a couple days ago it bounced up to full then back to empty like an hour later... I've done the trap door method to expose the plug but I have no Idea how to use a multi meter ( I have one) or which wire to check, I've read purple is the sender? When I unplug the plug with the key in the on position the gauge doesn't change so I'm not sure where else to look. Please help me out, I would love to see how much fuel I have LOL
Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Check the plug under the car and the harness up to the sending unit make sure you have a good connection and no broke wire. Most likely you need a new sending unit
Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by clean98z-28
Check the plug under the car and the harness up to the sending unit make sure you have a good connection and no broke wire. Most likely you need a new sending unit
Well I did check the connection under the car and it seems ok, but where the plug goes into the body behind the rear seat I loose it after that and I'm not about to pull all my carpet up. Is there anyway to test the sending unit? I keep trying to search but am coming up dry.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The sending unit is easy to replace.
The sender wires are purple.
The reason your gauge is giving erratic readings is the wiper arm is worn and not contacting the coil.
The wire float arm snaps out of the black wiper arm. Then remove the white lock. Follow the wires to the plug in the pump module.
Remove the lock pin the plug can be unplugged and the sender removed.
The Horse Shoe looking icon on the multi meter is the OHM setting.
To test the operation with a multi meter touch the probes to the bare metal at the purple wires.
With the float arm down as in photo 4 the reading should be "0". Raise the float arm all the way up the reading should be "240"
With the float arm in the mid-range wiggle the arm if there is erratic indication on the multi meter the float sending unit is no good
Attached Thumbnails Fuel sending unit not working right PLEASE HELP-img_1115.jpg   Fuel sending unit not working right PLEASE HELP-img_1116.jpg   Fuel sending unit not working right PLEASE HELP-img_1118croped.jpg   Fuel sending unit not working right PLEASE HELP-img_1122croped.jpg  

Last edited by Ollie8974; 07-21-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel sending unit not working right PLEASE HELP