Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Idle Air Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Air Control Valve

Quick question here,

Can I eliminate the use of the IAC valve by setting the throttle where it should be during normal operation, and during startup just give it the additional amount of throttle? Similar to how you would feather or hold open the throttle on a carbureted vehicle until it warms up.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg.H
Quick question here,

Can I eliminate the use of the IAC valve by setting the throttle where it should be during normal operation, and during startup just give it the additional amount of throttle? Similar to how you would feather or hold open the throttle on a carbureted vehicle until it warms up.

Thanks.
Technically yes. But it will make your idle unpredictable. AC kicks on, fans, stereo, etc will mess with it bad. The iac is what adds the air for your adaptive idle.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I am not running A/C or electric fans, and my radio does not work lol. So I guess I should be alright.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I am not running A/C or electric fans, and my radio does not work lol. So I guess I should be alright.
Does your tb not have an iac?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
Does your tb not have an iac?
the manifold that I got originally had a DBW throttle body, but I wanted DBC so I went to the U-pull-it and got me a DBC throttle body. Only problem is that all of the throttle bodies already had the IAC pulled off.

So for simplicity (that's what I'm going for here) a DBC throttle body with a preset idle speed for normal operation is what I want.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most race cars don't use an iac. But most people will tell you, if you have provisions for it, there is no need to eliminate it, especially on something that is driven more than a quarter mile at a time. Eliminating it really doesn't simplify anything enough to warrant taking if off. See what I'm saying.

I run one on my race car because the throttle body I have has provisions for one.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Quick question here,

Thanks.
If you are using the factory ecu, there would be no sensible reason for doing this.

Why exactly do you want to do that ?

If you alter the "closed" position of the throttle, it can affect other areas of low speed operation as the ecu wont have the level of control it expects.

Quick Reply: Idle Air Control Valve