Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Tank foam or Holley Hydramat

Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank foam or Holley Hydramat

Guys i have some fuel issues.
due to angling and cornering of my truck i get fuel starvation issues.
this happens as soon as the tank reaches 1/3 and below.
the fuel cell is a JAZ Products cell with a bladder, 22gal.
Fuel pump is a AMS 1000 pump, which i don`t want to burn up, or melt a can off course.

so have been checking and considering.
putting foam bricks
or
installing a Holley Hydramat system.

anyone any advises or experiences to share?
or other ideas are also welcome.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Holley Hydramat is really great, but it is not cheap, so if you are up for spending the money you should never have a fuel issue again. Only you can choose if it really is money well spent.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
The Holley Hydramat is really great, but it is not cheap, so if you are up for spending the money you should never have a fuel issue again. Only you can choose if it really is money well spent.
burning up some pistons inst cheap either.
im afraid of the foam dissolving in the petrol.
I think i will order 2 crosses with a crossover.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Cheapest solution is to use a factory fuel bucket to feed your pump.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick335d
Guys i have some fuel issues.
due to angling and cornering of my truck i get fuel starvation issues.
this happens as soon as the tank reaches 1/3 and below.
the fuel cell is a JAZ Products cell with a bladder, 22gal.
Fuel pump is a AMS 1000 pump, which i don`t want to burn up, or melt a can off course.

so have been checking and considering.
putting foam bricks
or
installing a Holley Hydramat system.

anyone any advises or experiences to share?
or other ideas are also welcome.

Foam will only go so far with preventing fuel surge issues, but would certainly be the easiest and cheapest thing to try. As long as you use suitable foam for the fuel you are using, there will be no issues.

I've seen some crappy looking black coloured foam blocks used in smaller Jaz cells...no idea what it's rated for.

Typical UK motorsport sellers sell either blue or yellow foam. Yellow is fine for pump fuel, blue for pump, meth etc. It comes in quite large blocks that you can cut down to shape/size needed for your specific tank. Obviously there needs to be a hole in the tank big enough to actually get it inside too.

Given the fuel outlets are a the base of your tank, does the hydramat lend itself well to that ?

What sort of room etc do you have around the base of the tank ? Whilst usually it isnt ideal, if you had enough you could add a small swirl/surge tank underneath. Normally this would be fed by na lift pump, but if you could give it two large feeds, say -12 then gravity alone should work, then use this smaller cell to supply your main engine pump. Almost like a small remote sump
Old 02-08-2016, 05:42 AM
Teching In

the fuel nipples are up top, so i can run some T joint hoses internally.
to connect the hydramats.
I heard some stories of the foam disintegrating and chocking up the fuel system.
I dont want to fit anything under the tank as i have the danger to bump it all off. on the sides of the tank aint much space either.
Attached Thumbnails Tank foam or Holley Hydramat-patrick-23.jpg   Tank foam or Holley Hydramat-patrick-38.jpg   Tank foam or Holley Hydramat-patrick-40.jpg  
Old 02-08-2016, 05:52 AM
9 Second Club

I'm sure there is a risk of foam causing issues, but the only type's I've used for any length of time are the yellow or blue types sold in the UK

I've one car with a plastic Jaz cell which came with the black foam you mention, it's been going for about 3 years or so like that and so far no problems, that's pump + 20% methanol mix.

As long as the Aeromotive pump can suck ( most efi pumps do not like to suck ( ie self prime ) and will always want gravity fed for best performance and reliability.

Really your options are either a lift pump and external surge tank which can be mounted pretty much anywhere convenient, or the hydramat would work well....and given size of tank, I think the hydramat is probably the more expensive option ? But perhaps the simplest as long as you can get it into the tank ok
Old 02-08-2016, 06:02 AM
9 Second Club

Also worth noting, no EFI pumps ever like running dry...so fuel surge can kill them if they see air often.

On the expensive, but neat side of surge tank options...Radium or Nuke offer nice stuff that use internal pumps inside a remote tank and could be mounted almost anywhere. You could use the Aeromotive or a carb style pump to supply this. Again taking note that the Aeromotive may not be happy at low fuel levels because it may see air a lot.

http://www.nukeperformance.com/produ...el-surge-tank/

the likes of these pumps would be fine for a lift pump into the surge tank, and still self prime and run reliably if there was still a degree of surge at lower fuel levels in the main tank and they're fairly cheap

http://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P46...oductId=748050
Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should only need one hydro matt to do that cell. You can either do the entire bottom or use the + cross they have to save some coin. As long as one leg is in fuel it will not pull in any air, so you only need one with one connection. Even with the cross you would likely have to take a huge jump on a low tank to ever come close to not picking up fuel. Unless you actually run out.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advices guys so far, it really has me considering options.
and made me look in a different perspective.

the thing is that fuel is everywhere in the tank if I run 80 m/h over 10 to 15" whoops or run 40-50% inclines, except at the pickup.
I fully agree that the fuel pump will be short lived if i continue like this.

its a relative small opernation now, but im considering building a blown motor next year, and these are less forgiving when it comes to fuel.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:06 PM
9 Second Club

Really...given the application and extreme usage. I think I'd nearly be wanting both the Hydramat AND an external swirl tank.

The low, wide rectangular tank shape is just bad.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 439 Likes on 334 Posts

has holley published flow rates for their hydramats yet?
about a year or so ago i was considering using them but could only find a little bit of anecdotal evidence of someone using one and it not supporting enough power.
I ended up building my own surge tank that has worked out very well, using stock pump in stock tank so it can run fine until the fuel light comes on.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just thinking here, but if you get a large enough hyrdomat where it runs up the sides and the whole bottom you will likely never miss the fuel.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I installed 2 hydramats, crossover and used the magnet set to secure to the bottom.
If tested it now for 5 trips and it works great.
the hydramat is money well spend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tank foam or Holley Hydramat